Gift at the time of marriage

I have given gift by cheque to my deemed(Not legally adopted) daughter at the time of her marriage, which was free from gift tax. But unfortunately she got divorced. Now in case she marry again with someone, can I again gift her at the time of her marriage and the gift is free from gift tax? Please advise me.

Replies (4)

Yes.

yes, as per section 56(2)(x) (charging section)

any sum of money or value of property received on the occasion of marriage of the individual would be outside the ambit of above section
it is not mention in any where times of marriage

so, it is not taxable under income tax act

Sir, I am a single male aged about 70 years. I am having a deemed daughter( Not legally adopted due to some legal constraints ) who is about 30 years old. Unfortunately she had divorced. Now she is remarried on 26th August 2020. She is in Jaipur and I am living about 200 Kms. away at Beawar. I wished to gift her my flat at Jaipur but due to COVID-19 crisis, I could not dare to go to Jaipur for the purpose. Now I wish to make the Gift deed in her name. Please suggest me that whether it shall be accepted by Income Tax Authorities after such delay. What is time frame normally in such cases. Should I go ahead and make the Gift deed now. Though I have made a will in her name for my all movable and immovable assets. But I apprehend any kind of legal challenge to my will by my brother or sisters, however, there is little chance but I wish to avoid any such circumstances. I know it will prove me little costly due to stamp duty etc.

 

Sir, I am a single male aged about 70 years. I am having a deemed daughter( Not legally adopted due to some legal constraints ) who is about 30 years old. Unfortunately she had divorced. Now she is remarried on 26th August 2020. She is in Jaipur and I am living about 200 Kms. away at Beawar. I wished to gift her my flat at Jaipur but due to COVID-19 crisis, I could not dare to go to Jaipur for the purpose. Now I wish to make the Gift deed in her name. Please suggest me that whether it shall be accepted by Income Tax Authorities after such delay. What is time frame normally in such cases. Should I go ahead and make the Gift deed now. Though I have made a will in her name for my all movable and immovable assets. But I apprehend any kind of legal challenge to my will by my brother or sisters, however, there is little chance but I wish to avoid any such circumstances. I know it will prove me little costly due to stamp duty etc.

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
16 September 2026
Internal Audit - Team Lead

Consulting & Beyond

Chennai

CA

View Details
Company
08 October 2026
Account Executive

Elite Taxation

New Delhi

CA Foundation

View Details
Company
06 October 2026
Assistant Manager - Audit and Compliance

Ravi K Jain & Co

Noida

Others

View Details
Company
26 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

pushpganga ventures

Pune

CA

View Details
Company
05 October 2026
Senior Accountant

Vision IT Peripherals Pvt Ltd

Mumbai

B.Com

View Details
Company
17 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

Dass Gupta & Associates

Gurgaon

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
CA Article Trainee

SR BAGAI & Co.

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
10 October 2026
Accounts Associate Level 1

Abic and Mani Chartered Accountants

Kottayam

B.Com

View Details