Documents required to be furnished for claiming FTC
In accordance with Rule 128, in order to claim FTC, the taxpayer is required to file the following documents on or before due date of filing of return:
1. A statement of :
- foreign income offered to tax
- foreign tax deducted or paid on such income in Form No. 67
2. Certificate or statement specifying the nature of income and the amount of tax deducted therefrom or paid by the taxpayer :
- From the tax authority of the foreign country
- from the person responsible for the deduction of such tax
- signed by the taxpayer
3. Proof of payment of taxes outside India.
Form 67, as mentioned above, is a crucial document that has to be furnished in order to claim FTC by a taxpayer. It is also essential that it be furnished on or before the due date of filing return of income under section 139(1) i.e. the original return of income.
Procedure for filing Form 67
The CBDT, vide notification no. 9/2017 dated 19 September 2017 has prescribed the procedure for filing Form 67 which have been enumerated here:
- Form 67 is to be prepared and submitted online for taxpayers who are mandated to file their income tax returns electronically;
- This form is available on the e-filing portal of the income tax department in the taxpayer’s account.
- Digital Signature Certificate (DSC) or Electronic Verification Code (EVC) is mandatory to submit Form 67
- Submission of Form 67 shall precede the filing of return of income
Filling and submission of Form 67
- Form 67 shall be available to all the taxpayers’ logins. The taxpayer is required to login into the e-filing portal using their valid credentials. A link for filing the form has been provided under “E-file-Prepare and submit online forms (Other than ITR)”
- Select Form 67 and the AY from the drop-down.
- Instruction to fill the form is enclosed along with Form 67. You can submit the completed form 67 by clicking on the ‘submit button. You can also save the form filled as a draft so that you can make some changes later and then submit it.