Easy Office
LCI Learning

Final answer .who is is better MBA or CA...

Page no : 2

CA Apoorva Shah (CA) (341 Points)
Replied 25 July 2011

In my view, we being CA students...we tend 2 get a littrle biased towards CA (arguable)...but if we try 2 make an objective assessment then first we shuld realise that these 2 disciplines are not comparable...they are overwhelmingly different and have their own pros and cons...however if 1 wishes to draw comparisons then i suggest that 1 should have a look at the following data on placements at Jamnalal Bajaj Institute of Management Studies(1 of the most sought after Institutes in the country)..

Final Placements '11 Print E-mail

The successful completion of the placement season for the batch of 2011 was a testimony to the continued faith reposed by the corporate world in JBIMS. The reputation of the institute is built on a 46 year old heritage of academic excellence; strengthened by connections with domestic and global corporate networks.

The batch of 2011 comprised of students from diverse backgrounds like Medicine, Engineering, Science, Commerce and Humanities. The batch had a healthy mix of freshers and of students with work experience of up to 5 years.

Keeping in sync with the excellent summer placements, this season started off on a very positive note. This is evident from the Pre-Placement Offers received by 24% of the batch. The list of recruiters burgeoned both in terms of number and diversity, in continuation with the trend of the last few years. More than 100 companies registered for placements this year and extended multiple offers to 111 students who had enrolled for the process.

The average salary this year stood at INR 15.54 lakhs, which is 21% higher than last year’s, while the highest domestic package offered is INR 26 lakhs by a leading Consulting firm.

Sector  Company 
 BFSI and IB  Citibank, HSBC, Barclays Bank, Axis Bank, ICICI Bank, YES Bank, HDFC Bank, JP Morgan Chase, Nomura, ICICI Securities, Avista Advisory, India Infoline, Edelweiss Capital, Bloomberg, Crisil, ICRA, IDBI Capital, Indiabulls, Principal PNB, SBI Capital, Thomson Reuters
 Consulting  McKinsey, Oliver Wyman, BTS (USA), Deloitte Consulting, PricewaterhouseCoopers, Capgemini, Bristlecone, MindTree Consulting, Nodwin Consulting
 FMCG/Pharmaceuticals  HUL, P&G, GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Helathcare, Reckitt Benckiser, ITC, Dabur, PepsiCo, Castrol, Britannia, Givaudan, Johnson & Johnson, Pfizer, Ranbaxy, Titan, UB Group, AstraZeneca
 Conglomerates  General Electric, Reliance Industries, Mahindra & Mahindra, Larsen & Toubro
 Telecom / Media  Bharti Airtel, Vodafone, Idea Cellular, HT Media
 IT / ITES  Accenture, TCS, Hewlett-Packard, HCL, Infosys, Wipro, Tally Solutions, Polaris, QAI Global
 PSU / NGO  Reserve Bank of India, Bank of India, National Institute of Securities Markets, Teach for India

International Placements

Companies such as BTS, Oliver Wyman, P&G, Bloomberg, Jumbo Electronics offered international profiles.

Placements at a glance:

No. of registered companies  103 
No. of participating companies  83
Total no. of students  111
Average salary offered (INR)  15.54 lakhs
Highest Domestic salary offered (INR)  26.00 lakhs

src : https://www.jbims.edu/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=338&Itemid=99

the avg. pay is higher than the highest pay to a CA in the last campus placement programme (for domestic placements) which stood at INR 15 lacs..and avg at INR 6.75 lacs...this should settle the debate...

However on a concluding note i would like to say that we should be proud of our Profession and CAs deserve much more compensation for their services...what say...??

PEACE..

Regards,

Apoorva Shah

espionage (human being...) (769 Points)
Replied 25 July 2011

Exactly even an institute like jbims is way ahead of ICAI., let alone iim/isb. duh :(

This is why ICAI is promoting CA, trying to increase Min. salaries. to counteract the MBA...
And bdude nothing will happen only by our deserving.. When those babu's wake up at the institute only then CA can have its due share..

frnd @ future CA CS.., CA is not a degree its is CHARTER and mba from isb dosent cost Rs.27 lakh , it costs, Rs. 2020000 .

https://www.isbmba.com/isb-mba-application-admission-essays-deadlines-courses-scholarship.htm

So u mean to say that only CA can give u knowledge and mba is just for honing skills/ presentation skill .

maybe u r wrong. :)

*PEACE*

1 Like

Joey Tribbiani (fdg) (2010 Points)
Replied 25 July 2011

I may be wrong but not totally. As i hv seen the trend in the MBA placements for the last many years the highest paid professionals are the people having a strong background degree,mostly B.Tech from IITs and other good colleges colleges. In 2004,I remember,the highest ever pay package getter(of Rs 84 lacs) was a CA,which held good until 2007. You can also look at the corporate honchos like Mr Manoj kohli,JMD of bharti Airtel,is an MBA with CA and there are many examples of others too. And also this debate is endless and starting pay package doesnt determine your altitude in life,your attittude does. And finally yes we are paying the price for internal politics of the ICAI,and we definitely deserve better than this... :)

PEACE...:P :)

Replied 25 July 2011

I think CA + MBA(From a reputed Inst) is da best combination.....

U wudnt believ der is a person who has topped Cpt, secured 4th rank @ ipcc and also got 99.8 Percentile @ cat..i dnt know him in person but 4m wht i hav hrd 4m others is that ge has taken up 1 of the IIMs so i presume he must have postponed his CA Final attempt..not sure though...

CA Sandeep Kumar (Audit Assistant) (804 Points)
Replied 25 July 2011

Disgusting to see people comparing professionals having different qualifications!!! 

Please respect every professional, courses are not made for you people to sit and compare, every course has its own value, don't stoop into such levels of saying MBA is not better than CA and stuff.

Please discuss anything important relating to our course or help people in who are in need of it.  

Abhijit Korgaonkar (Final Student) (1243 Points)
Replied 25 July 2011

Originally posted by : sunny pursuing CA , CS

Disgusting to see people comparing professionals having different qualifications!!! 

Please respect every professional, courses are not made for you people to sit and compare, every course has its own value, don't stoop into such levels of saying MBA is not better than CA and stuff.

Please discuss anything important relating to our course or help people in who are in need of it.  

True.. thres no point in comparing these courses...

Replied 25 July 2011

Originally posted by : sunny pursuing CA , CS

Dear MR SUNNY,

Your concerns are genuine 4 fellow CA aspirants...but dont u feel dat these sought of forums help people get better insights to other courses along with Ca...in this competitive world..people aspire to achieve multiple qualifications...this is not the only forum on this site..as  may surf to find many other "important stuff" of which u are concerned about..we intend no disrespect to any of the disciplines..

Replied 25 July 2011

Hello Mr. Apoorva,

I would like to add on this...

as u said, forums giving information about other courses are always helpful for students.. but, sorry to say.. this forum is not providing any insights into any courses... it is just a pure comparison between two courses.. which i feel is not helping any cause..

This forum is like comparing Indian Cricket and Indian Hockey teams.. and comparing their strengths and weaknesses...  both are good in their particular fields.. but not comparable to each other... 

Replied 25 July 2011

This thread was started due to the fact that, genereally CA students compare their CA with MBA finance...
and see the mba guys from iim's/ isb going way ahead of them..

CA students should get a better overal view of the CA - MBA battle..

@ abhijit how is this thread  a comparision between the indian hockey team and the indian cricket team... are u reffering CA as the indian hockey team or the cricket team :-p

more replies are welcome...

*PEACE*

1 Like

Prachi (CA FINAL) (2309 Points)
Replied 25 July 2011

Everyone has its own importance in their field.

Prachi (CA FINAL) (2309 Points)
Replied 25 July 2011

What say??????????????????

Replied 25 July 2011

Mr. Espionage... I wil still stick to my words.. that these two courses are not comparable... 

It all depends on how a particular individual goes ahead after getting a degree.. cause even a CA can be a good manager.. and even an MBA(Finance) can be a good accountant..

but.. its a nice post though.. specially for debate.. :)

Replied 25 July 2011

Originally posted by : Prachi

Everyone has its own importance in their field.

agreed,,,

Replied 25 July 2011

Helathy debate is always helpful to both parties...
ICAI is taking some important steps to make sure CA profession comes forward...
i suggest everone here to go for a MBA (strictly from im/isb) after u complete ur CA...
even iim bangalore has started to give a 15% advantage to ca final passed studetns..
they are scared... :-P

*PEACE*

archana bakshi (Student) (227 Points)
Replied 11 January 2013

Sir

Can u please explain the 15% advantage that the CAs get in IIm Bangalore?

Thanks..

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Join CCI Pro

Subscribe to the latest topics :

Search Forum: