Easy Office

Equity research analyst-interview help please

Page no : 2

arun (owner) (29 Points)
Replied 19 March 2012

Suresh,I know ,I sounded like a complete idiot in the interview. But like Einstein said Insanity is "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results” So at least for the next interview let me be fully prepared.

vanii (associate) (23 Points)
Replied 19 March 2012

Hi all, am arts final year student from Mount Carmel College Bangalore, was just searching for a quote on Insanity on google and have landed up here. I just had a quick read of what Arun, Suresh had mentioned about investment banking and equity research jobs. I must admit being from arts background “numbers are not my best friends” so Equity research is not for me .I just thought of picking your brains on this quote  -- Insanity is "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results”  many have miss-interpreted this quote  and understood it wrongly .They  never try once again after they fail .I just want to rephrase it a bit  and say   “experimenting or working  on the same thing  with persistence till you  get desired results is wise and not insane”. So Arun,karan  don’t give-up wish  you all good luck.

suresh (CEO) (27 Points)
Replied 19 March 2012

Hey Karan, am curious to know the two senior investment bankers whom you met through your contacts ,where are they working?

greyhair (accountant) (24 Points)
Replied 19 March 2012

Thanks Vani, agreed we should keep trying. Krishnan, the two guys are working with Barclays Capital and Vani, much to your surprise, incidentally one of the guys is from arts background. Vani Just like you I had the same concern that myself being from a technical background, can I make it in the investment banking field. The senior investment banker mentioned to me that Investment banks prefer to hire from a diverse background, as they have seen that for example people from arts background have good writing and presentation skills which as a team member they can make a very valuable contribution and I see you have good oratory skills and you should also give a serious thought about investment banking.

Replied 19 March 2012

Hey Grey hair thanks but still finding it hard to believe whether people from arts background can get a chance to work in investment banks.? As an arts student, the first time I heard something about investment banking was when I watched the movie “wall street” the way the life of an investment banker is portrayed in that movie,glamour,money,power  guess anybody watching that movie would dream to become an investment banker.

arun (owner) (29 Points)
Replied 19 March 2012

Hey  Vani, Suresh,Veena,Karan  think we are already 5 people curious to know about how to enter investment banking field.Karan you mentioned about Global banking training institute ,can you give a call and find  a little more details about the certified investment Banker program they conduct.

Replied 19 March 2012

Guys wait,let me give them a call and also check along with the program details about if they offer any group discounts if we all enroll

greyhair (accountant) (24 Points)
Replied 19 March 2012

See Vani ,you are not bad with numbers!!!!!! Yeah fine Vani take the lead and give them a call and let us know. Till I hear from you, let me plan to watch the movie you mentioned “wallstreet” 

mahesh (Junior) (43 Points)
Replied 27 April 2012

5 tips

Attach to a sector like mining, telecom, utilities, FMCG etc.......

Learn abt the players and their competetive edge and also their financials and their growth prospects......read their annual reports for 5-10 years

Learn how to interpret macro economic data like inflation, interest rates, forex reserves, etc

Learn a valuation model there are lot available online. Also, try to interpret factors and models variables.

Do good research and start forming opinions on stocks.

Age is not at all a constraint if you have interest and motivation and also have confidence

Get an interview and simple to get a job.

They may give another sector than what you thought

Also, try to remember numbers and it would be fun to remember sales figures, margins,etc

tra072011 (no) (21 Points)
Replied 17 August 2012

Hi

This topic help me a lot in developing my project. I will contribute more when I finished it.

Barb (MBA) (36 Points)
Replied 15 August 2016

These interview questions are for investment banking but I think you will still find them very helpful for equity research...  the questions should be simiar https://www.corporatefinanceinstitute.com/real-investment-banking-interview-form

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Join CCI Pro

Subscribe to the latest topics :

Search Forum: