Easy Office
LCI Learning

Educational cess on tds on fixed deposit

Page no : 2

B (Engin) (205 Points)
Replied 18 July 2012

gnanika

I will have TDS for my salary and TDS for interest on fixed deposit. Now EC and SHEC are not paid by bank while deductiong TDS. So that EC and SHEC amount is not a shortfall of tax which I need to pay to the IT department. Due to the EC and SHEC on TDS on interest the TDS is not equal to tax payble.

Regards

B (Engin) (205 Points)
Replied 18 July 2012

Hi

In that attached file, plese see the sheet named Income Details. In that sheet, in the area marked by 'INCOME & DEDUCTIONS' the following row is there:

Income from Other Sources (Ensure to fill Sch TDS2)

Should I fill the TDS that has been deducted by bank on interest earned on fixed deposit at this row?

In that case should this TDS on interest on fixedd eposit be included in the following row that is in the same sheet where they describe TAX Computation:

8 Tax payable on Total Income                                                             

If it should be included in 8 then in the following 9th row EC, SHEC will automatically be charged. Is not it?

9 Education Cess, including secondary and higher secondary cess on 8                                                                 9 0

How to fill up, if I am wrong?

Regards

Attached File : 840942 1018465 2012 itr1.xls downloaded: 183 times

CA MOHAMMED IRFAN (Chartered Accountant) (136 Points)
Replied 18 July 2012

EC stands for Education Cess and

SHEC stands for Secondary Education Cess

My dear suppose you TDS is Rs.10,000/- and your tax liability is also Rs.10,000/-.Now how this presented in ITR have a look:

Computaion of Tax

Income Tax                                                                                        9709

Add: EC @ 2%                                                                                   194

Add: SHEC @ 1%                                                                              97    

Total Tax Liability         (9709+194+97)                                                                    10,000/=

Less : Tax Paid 

1.TDS                                                                               10,000

2. Advance Tax                                                                     -

3. Self  Assessment Tax                                                       -                       10,000/=

Balance Tax Payable/(Refundable)                                                                            NIL        

I think this example would clarify your doubts

B (Engin) (205 Points)
Replied 18 July 2012

IRFAN:

Suppose I see bank has deducted Rs. 900 as TDS on interest in fixed deposit. How to present this then ITR1?

Regards

Replied 18 July 2012

This should be presented as follows

24 Details of Tax Deducted at Source on Income OTHER THAN SALARY
[As per FORM 16 A issued by Deductor(s)]

SI.No Tax Deduction
Account Number
(TAN) of the Deductor
Name of the Deductor Unique TDS Certificate No. Deducted Year Total tax
Deducted
Amount out of
(6) claimed for
this year
  (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7)
  1 ABCDE1234F XYZ BANK   20011-12 900 900

Replied 18 July 2012

I believe that you can fill the appropriate bank Name and its PAN and just do not copy what the bank name and PAN I have filled because its invalied and I think you do understand it.

B (Engin) (205 Points)
Replied 18 July 2012

IRFAN

How shall I fill the sheet marked by 'Income Details' in the attached file for this Rs. 900 of TDS on fi interest on fixed deposit?

Regards

Attached File : 840942 1018504 2012 itr1.xls downloaded: 151 times

Replied 18 July 2012

My dear you go to point no. 3 in ITR1 and just fill whatever interest has been credited in your FD Account. You have to take Gross Interest Received inclusive of TDS deducted from it.  

B (Engin) (205 Points)
Replied 18 July 2012

IRFAN

Bank has informed that total TDS deducted is Rs. 900 and I see in 26 AS the total TDS sent by bank is Rs. 900. What should I  fill in point no. 3 then?

Regards

Neha sharma (-) (1257 Points)
Replied 18 July 2012

Education Cess is not applied on TDS

Anuj Kumar Malhan (member) (46 Points)
Replied 18 July 2012

hey boss...banks when deduct tds ...will not add up the cess along with it...but it doesn't mean that there is no cess on income tax...when u calculate ur total income and tax payable automatically cess is added on whole tax payable...tds is just deducted at end from ur  total tax liability towards the govt..and for total tds deducted by bank u have to take tds certificate from bank...

B (Engin) (205 Points)
Replied 18 July 2012

Can anyone explain how I shall fill up the sheet having name 'Income details' in the attached file while my bank informed a TDS of 900 has been deducted for interest on fixed deposit?

CA Gnanika (CA ) (485 Points)
Replied 18 July 2012

Mr B. Just fill the interest credited to your fd.

Since in your case tds mentioned ny u is 900/- then interest earned would have been 9000 & only Rs 8100/- u would have received in u'r account.

So in point no. 3 mention it as 9000/-. In Form 26AS, income also would be mentioned against which tds has been deducted, so just mention it.

Hope it is clear now.

Gunjan Tulsyan (Article) (222 Points)
Replied 18 July 2012

nO EDUCATION Cess is there in case of TDs on Interest from FD...!!!!!

B (Engin) (205 Points)
Replied 18 July 2012

gnanika/all

What to mention then in point number 8 and 9 in the same sheet?

Regards

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Join CCI Pro

Subscribe to the latest topics :

Search Forum: