Difference Between CA and MBA? - Experience of a GMCS Trainer

Vaibhav Gupta (Lecturer - Strategic Management - University of South Australia)   (150 Points)

06 April 2013  

Dear CA Students,

I am one of the faculty at GMCS-I classes in Vishwas Nagar, Delhi and I undertake the topics of Book Review and Reading and Comprehension Skills.

It's been 10 batches since GMCS-I has been started and I am surprised as well as disappointed to see that CA students just do not read. All they are interested in is mugging up their text books and coaching notes. Hardly 5-10 students in a batch of 60, would have probably read something like a Chetan Bhagat but rest of them just draw a blank, the moment I ask "What have you read?". And when I ask why?, The common reasons stated are:

1. Sir, we don't get time.

2. Sir, why do we need to read?

3. Sir, we don't have any interest.

I have been able to motivate a few of them towards reading but most of them are just too oblivious to the fact that text would surely equip with you with technical skills but from where would you gain the presentation skills? Don't you think you would need it to rise the ladder of corporate success?

Consistently, in every batch, students also raise this question. Sir, What is the difference between MBA and CA? and my answer has become so repetitive that I remember it verbatim.

There are 2 differences:

1. Both CAs and MBAs know that they would NOT grow without excellent communication and presentation skills but MBA work consciously for it while CAs don't.

2. These skills are an interim part of regular MBA course while it's not the case with CA course.

Hence, effort has to come from your side which must be additional to your normal course of studies.

There may be a possibility that the readers of this thread may include people who already attended my class or will be attending it in near future but my questions remains the same.

What extra are you doing to build upon your communication and presentation skills?

GMCS, however inadequate so, is an excellent initiative by ICAI, which puts its best effort to sensitize you all towards buiding up the skills necessary to build up a career you want, otherwise, most of you will get stuck up in the careers you would be forced to choose.

Hence, I urge all of you to take your GMCS classes seriously and create your own action plan because unfortunately, once your GMCS is over, there is no one to guide you like an MBA, but your conscience only.

I will do my best to bring quality material on table through this forum because I believe, there is a little injustice done to all of you by not incorporating such trainings as an inherent part of your course, as in case of MBAs.

But at the end of it, it's you who will have to work on it. I and the others like me can just show the light but the path has to be trodden by you.

Thanks for your attention!

Vaibhav Gupta

www.howtocrackaninterview.com