" How to Start a Consultancy Business in India "

(Guest)

How to Start a Consultancy Business in India: Regulatory and Other Issues

An individual planning to start his own consultancy in India, would like to have the answers for the following questions:

Q1: Can I simultaneously start my own business / consultancy while working as an employee?

Q2: Which is better from tax point of view: salaried employee vs. working as a consultant?

Q3: If I start a consultancy, then what are the legal formalities?

Q4: If working as a consultant, whether to open a sole proprietorship firm or work under individual’s name?

Q5: If I open a sole proprietorship, whether any registration is required for it?

Q6: How can I be sure that the name I’m going to use, say, “ABC Consultants” is unique and there is no other business or profession is being operated under the same name? What if in future I become famous and someone else copies my firm name?

Q7: What is the status of sole proprietorship under Income Tax Act, 1961? Do I need to apply for a separate PAN card for sole proprietorship? Do I need to file two returns, one in the individual capacity and other for proprietorship firm? What are the tax deductions allowed in running my own business or consultancy? How does it make a difference in the taxation if I run the run the business / profession from home?

Q8: What are the TDS implications?

Q9: Whether any other tax is applicable such as service tax? If yes, then is there any exemption limit below which I’m not liable for service tax? What about service tax registration? Is it required irrespective of the exemption limit or only if my billing exceeds certain minimum threshold? Do I require registration before starting the service or can I apply afterwards? What is the rate service of service tax applicable for FY 2009-10?

Q10: Whether a separate bank account is required for banking purposes?

Q11: What if I render services to a foreign client?

Q12: What if I start a sole proprietorship and later on in future (to expand the business) decide to convert it into partnership / company?