Easy Office

Tds on Freight charged by supplier

Page no : 2
(Guest)

I AM A BOOKING TRANSPORTER , I AM HIRING VEHICLES FROM THE BROKER TRANSPORTER AND DEDUCTING THE TDS FROM THERE FREIGHT AMOUNT BUT HAVE SHORT PAID THE TDS NOW WHAT SHOUDL I DO, AND WHAT IF A.O. FOUND OUT THAT I HAVE SHORT PAID THE TDS DEDUCTED BY ME

Vijay K. Agrawal (Service) (608 Points)
Replied 15 October 2008

Dear Vijay,

Do Not Worry, deposit short paid TDS with Interest Now.

SANDEEP (CHARTERED ACCOUNTANT) (26 Points)
Replied 13 March 2009

Dear All

Please let me Know

1. if it is First year of the Proprietor ship firm i.e F.Y 2008-09 and Sales Exceed Rs 40,00,000/-whether TDS is requried to be deducted on Freight  assume that it exceed exempted limit

Y.N.Vinod (Consultant - Risk Advisory Services)   (98 Points)
Replied 27 June 2009

Sandeep Sir,

I think, TDS is to be deducted on freight in your case as the gross turnover crossed Rs.40 lakhs.

Amol Gopal Kabra (CA,CS,DISA) (Practicing CA) (8539 Points)
Replied 27 June 2009

Dear Mr Bansal, in my opinion, there is no liability of your company to deduct TDS as the contract with the transporter is of the Supplier and not yours. In either case, the supplier will be liable to deduct the tax from the payments made to the transporter. The supplier is just claiming the reimbursement of the transportation charges / frieght from you. So no need to deduct tax at source. 

Replied 27 June 2009

Mr Amol,

Can u just clarify me about TDS on freight charges paid by a logistics company if the company pays freight Rs.20000 and reimburses Rs.30000 from the customer.As it is not a pure reimbursement i am not sure abt TDS in this aspect...

Replied 27 June 2009

Mr. Vinod, even if the company has paid Rs.20000/- as freight, and has collected Rs.30000 from the customer, the TDS liability will not be on the customer. In this, case, the supplier will deduct tax on Rs. 20000/- only.

As the company has collected Rs. 30000/- it shall have the following effect.

Rs. 20000/- paid to the transporter will be debited to Profit and Loss account.

Rs. 30000/- collected shall be credited to Profit and loss account, eventually considered as income.

However, the TDS liability will not come on the customer. 

Replied 27 June 2009

Thanks for ur reply Sir.But my query is whether TDS is to be deducted on Rs.20000 or not.If it is ocean freight TDS is not required to be deducted but if it is AIr freight then whats the imlication..

Replied 27 June 2009

TDS has to be deducted on the payment made to transporter, i.e. Rs. 20000/-

For the second question, in case there is no specific exclusion, the expenditure if satisfies the conditions of the Section shall attract the TDS liability. If Air Mail is not specifically excluded and also the expenditure so incurred satisfies the conditions given in the Section 194C, i.e. if there's a contract for the same, it will come under the scope of TDS.

Replied 27 June 2009

Thanks Sir..I got my doubt clarified...

Prakash Ranga (2 Points)
Replied 10 August 2017

i have to pay Rs. 88000 for frieght charges please tell me about rate of tds is i have to dedact tds or not

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Join CCI Pro

Subscribe to the latest topics :

Search Forum: