Easy Office

Communication on arrear demand

Page no : 6

Arul Victor (Manager-Marketing) (24 Points)
Replied 08 November 2011

Dear All,

I have written to ITO clearly stating my views with supporting facts / documents about the arrear demand and also giving a brief regarding the refund due along with copies of ITR ackowledgement for AY 2008-09, Form 16A, Form 26AS, and copy of the intimation received for arrear demand.

I have marked a copy to CPC, Bangalore. Hopefully, I will get a reply in couple of weeks. In case I don't get a reply, I shall visit the IT office and meet the ITO personally.

I would like to thank everyone in this forum for being so prompt and helpful.

A. Arul Victor

venkatesh (SSE) (25 Points)
Replied 10 November 2011

Hi, I too received the arrear on demand mail on 3rd Nov. Even though the filed record is correct; they have sent the initimation. So I went to AO of bangalore region and enquired about the same. The AO is not aware of this CPC initmation letter. Then I showed the letter and told him that they have asked to contact the AO for this arrear. Then he agreed to equire. He told to me to write a letter addressing him along with the documents. So I worte a letter and attached all the doc and in return they have given the photo copy of my letter with a seal.

Now I don't know when this issue will resolve....

Himanshu Bhalla (Software Engineer) (24 Points)
Replied 10 November 2011

Hi,

I have also received this intimation. Based on the discussions above I want to contact my AO and also write/email to them. I could figure out that this is my AO:

Area Code:KAR
AO Type: W
Range Code: 312
AO Number: 1
Jurisdiction: ITO WARD 14(1)

But, I am unable to figure out on how to contact the AO. Can you please let me know how to find out the contact details of the AO from the above information:
[1] Email
[2] Phone
[3] Postal address

Also, which is the best way to contact the AO to get a prompt response.

Thanks,
Himanshu

venkatesh (SSE) (25 Points)
Replied 10 November 2011

Originally posted by : Himanshu Bhalla

Hi,

I have also received this intimation. Based on the discussions above I want to contact my AO and also write/email to them. I could figure out that this is my AO:

But, I am unable to figure out on how to contact the AO. Can you please let me know how to find out the contact details of the AO from the above information:

[1] Email

[2] Phone

[3] Postal address

Thanks,

Himanshu

Please contact below mentioned address

Range Offices, No 59, HMT Bhavan, 4th Floor, Bellary Road, Ganganagar, Bengaluru- 560032 here u can meet the range officers of 1,2, 13, 14,16. Go there and submit your copy with detail descripttion. I did not find the email address but submitted the hard copy with proper letter.

1 Like

Himanshu Bhalla (Software Engineer) (24 Points)
Replied 10 November 2011

Originally posted by : venkatesh

Originally posted by : Himanshu Bhalla

Hi,

[1] Email

[2] Phone

[3] Postal address

Thanks,

Himanshu

Please contact below mentioned address

Range Offices, No 59, HMT Bhavan, 4th Floor, Bellary Road, Ganganagar, Bengaluru- 560032 here u can meet the range officers of 1,2, 13, 14,16. Go there and submit your copy with detail descriptttion. I did not find the email address but submitted the hard copy with proper letter.

Thanks Venkatesh, I really appreciate.

Do you have any ideas whether the office is open on saturdays as well. And the timings?

Thanks.

Bosco Menezes (n.a.) (48 Points)
Replied 16 November 2011

Guys,

My CA has visited IT office today, to take up my case & that of another 3-4 clients who had received the same arrears demand. 

ALL the cases turned out to be the same - that the Tax Payments for the relevant A.Y. - either Self Assessment / TDS etc - had not been accounted/matched in the system. Hence the tax was showing outstanding & after applying interest it had resulted in the odd demand figure shown in the arrears communication.

So the IT officer has asked my CA to file Rectification Letter/Application in all the cases, after which the rectification will be done.

Hope this helps & thanks once again to all those who participated in this thread with their valuable advice.

Regds,

Bosco

Replied 16 November 2011

So my suggestion to all who have not yet taken action is this :-

Either you or your CA should go with all the necessary papers of the A.Y. for which you have received the demand i.e.

(a) IT Dept Acknowledgement of returns filed, which has the stamp & date of filing

(b) ITR-2 or actual returns filed

(c) All theTDS certificates & Self Assessment tax payments - challan/taxpayers counterfoil

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Show the same to the IT officer. He / she will be in a position to tell you exactly what the issue is.

If as in my case it is non-acctg of tax actually paid, i suggest you can write a Rectification application (make duplicate/xerox) at the IT office itself & attach copies of all the above (carry additional copies of all your docts with you) , and hand it one set to to the officer with teh application.

So you can save yourself having to make a 2nd trip.

All the best.

Vishnu Agarwal (Tech Lead) (22 Points)
Replied 22 November 2011

before taking any action, you can try the following:

1. Check your ITR-V for the year
  2. Check Incomtaxindia site for any pending amounts.
  3. If no pending, then send your letter along with ITRV details to the concern department via post.

It happens sometime during eFiling of the tax departments are not updated.

Regards,

Vishnu

https://timir126.blogspot.com - https://vishnu-agarwal.blogspot.com

Replied 22 November 2011

Originally posted by : Vishnu Agarwal

Check your ITR-V for the year
Check Incomtaxindia site for any pending amounts.
If no pending, then send your letter along with ITRV details to the concern department via post.

Regards,
Vishnu

Hi Vishnu,

How does one "check for pending amounts on the Incomtaxindia site" ?

Thansk & Regds,

Bosco

Vishnu Agarwal (Tech Lead) (22 Points)
Replied 22 November 2011

Originally posted by : Bosco Menezes

Originally posted by : Vishnu Agarwal

Check your ITR-V for the year

Check Incomtaxindia site for any pending amounts.

If no pending, then send your letter along with ITRV details to the concern department via post.

Regards,

Vishnu

Hi Vishnu,

How does one "check for pending amounts on the Incomtaxindia site" ?

Thansk & Regds,

Bosco

Hi Bosco,

Register here: https://onlineservices.tin.nsdl.com/TIN/JSP/security/PanLogin.jsp

or visit "Visit Tax Credit" section at https://www.tin-nsdl.com/

registration is 15/- + taxes.  that should work (didn't try yet by myself)

Regards,

Vishnu

https://vishnu-agarwal.blogspot.com - https://timir126.blogspot.com

rishi (engineer) (21 Points)
Replied 30 November 2011

Hi All,

I have received the same 143(1) initimation letter for AY (2008-2009)  and IT Dept is asking for around 42K areear amount. I have my Form16 for that year and I have already paid required taxes and it is showing in 26AS form as well.

I filed my return from Mumbai manually through one person. But now I have shifted from Mumbai to Hapur(U.P.)

In the intimation letter it is mentioned that AO would be WARD2 HAPUR(U.P.) for any sort of rectification,

I went to AO and told him about this demand arrear, but he raised his hands and told me that you have returned your file from mumbai, so you have to goto Mumbai and get it corrected.

I went to Mumbai and Mumbai IT Dept is saying that your file is in migration from Mumbai to WARD 2 HAPUR (U.P.) and they can not do anything. You have to get it rectified from your local WARD IT officer.

Please help me out to come out from this problem.

Thanks in advance

Rishi Garg

Rani (None) (211 Points)
Replied 17 January 2012

Hi,

Anyone got refund after meeting with the ITO? I had given the application for rectification to the ITO, did not hear anything from them

Replied 19 January 2012

Originally posted by : Rani

Hi,

Anyone got refund after meeting with the ITO? I had given the application for rectification to the ITO, did not hear anything from them

I did not actually have to get a refund for the year for which the demand was raised (AY200809), just needed to ensure that the arrears were cancelled from my name, as my taxes were fully paid. So as advised by the IT officer, my CA had submitted the request for rectification of records.

Till date we have not been informed if the rectification has been done. But around a month ago, a small refund of the current AY got automatically adjusted against the wrong arrears showing as pending from AY2008-09. So as of last month at least, said rectification had not yet happened.

Till they rectify their records, our future refunds will keep getting adjusted against the wrong arrears & we will lose out.

My CA is likely to visit this month for a follow-up. Will post if he gets any update.

Look forward to others also updating on their experience.

1 Like

Replied 19 January 2012

In fact i rang my CA just now & it turns out that just yesterday he had followed up at the IT office. He has been told it will take some more time - (hopefully) the Rectification Order will come by March 2012.

So if it does not come by March, he will need to follow up again.

- Bosco

1 Like

Manu (Job) (22 Points)
Replied 13 February 2012

Guys, I too received such an Email for arrear demand u/s 143(1) and it is very very huge (almost equal to complete tax I paid that year). I have gone through all the posts/threads on this and I have just one question -

I have checked my return & taxes paid for that year and I find that the error on my part is just that I ignored my saving bank interest. The tax on it would be mere 2-3K. But the tax demand is very huge and point to some mistake from IT department. So what should be my course of action? - should I write to my AO admiting my small mistake & offering to pay up or simply write a letter saying that I have completely paid my taxes & this demand is mistake?

Can we the AO to give details of the huge demand before taking any stand from our side?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Join CCI Pro

Subscribe to the latest topics :

Search Forum: