Can we make Gift deed for gift made in the past now?

Dear Sir/Madam,

I had made a gift of money (via cheque) to my sister in last financial year (FY 2023-24) of 50 Lakhs (in Dec 2023 for purchase of apartment). I had not made a gift deed at that time and I would like to know if I can now make a gift deed for the same? And if yes will it be a problem that the gift deed on stamp paper (100 Rs.) has different date than the date of the cheque / transaction when I gifted the money?

Thanking you!

Replies (3)
Quick Summary
This discussion explores whether a gift deed can be created retrospectively for a monetary gift made in the previous financial year. While a gift deed for immovable property cannot be backdated, a confirmation deed for other assets might be possible. The key concern is whether registering a deed after the transaction date will cause issues.

Replied elsewhere,  duplicate query.

Dhirajlal Sir,

I also need the answer to this query, please let me know where the reply to be found. I'm unable to find it.

Thank you Sir

For immovable property it is not possible on later date; but for amy other a confirmation of gift deed in past can serve the purpose if have confirmation. Registration of any deed after some stipuated period is not allowed.

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
ARTICLESHIP 07 October 2026
Article Trainee/ CMA Trainee

RMA And Associates LLP

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
06 October 2026
Assistant Manager - Audit and Compliance

Ravi K Jain & Co

Noida

Others

View Details
Company
30 September 2026
Senior Accountant

Codeboard Technology

Chennai

B.Com

View Details
Company
18 September 2026
Accounts & Finance Specialist

ULTRA CHEMICAL WORKS

Thane

CA Final

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 07 October 2026
Article assistant

S.K.Bajpai & Co.

Noida

B.Com

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 08 October 2026
ARTICLE TRAINEE

S.B.G. & CO. CHARTERED ACCOUNTANTS

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 07 October 2026
Article Assistant

Malhotra Rajesh & Associates

New Delhi

B.Com

View Details
Company
15 September 2026
Client-site CA associate

Aditya Muley and Co

Mumbai

CA

View Details