Concentration & confidence

Geeta (chief accountant) (3368 Points)

10 June 2011  

CONCENTRATION:

The Two Minute Mind is an excellent exercise for developing concentration. Simply stare at the second hand on your wristwatch for two minutes and think about nothing else for that time. At first your mind will wander but after 21 days of practice, your attention will not waver during the routine. One of the greatest qualities a person can develop to ensure his success is the ability to focus for extended periods of time. Learn to build up your concentration muscles and no task will be too difficult for you.

To enhance your concentration, read a passage in a book you have never explored. Then try to recite it verbatim. Practice this for only 5 minutes a day and enjoy the results which follow after a few months of effort. 

83% of our sensory input comes from our eyes. To truly concentrate on something, shut your eyes and you will remove much distraction. 

Get into the habit of memorizing beautiful poetry. Not only will it be a great source of entertainment but it will quickly lift your intellectual functions to a higher level by improving your memory, concentration and mental agility.

CONFIDENCE:

In this unpredictable world, confidence is a most useful asset. There are inevitably many situations which we face with alarm. In such cases, a timid person may give up and run away. A vain and egotistical person may bluff and bluster. But a confident person will size up the situation, prepare himself as well as possible, and then tackle it with a determination to succeed, or at least to make a good attempt. 

A con-man once reported with a reference letter from his previous employer. The letter said, This man is a good worker, but be careful- he is a gambler too. Any help extended to him will be greatly blah! Blah! Blah! 

The new employer looked at him and asked, I hear you are a gambler. What do you bet on? 

The con-man for once spoke truthfully, practically anything, Sir, if you want, I will bet rs.1000/- that you have got a dark patch under your arm. 

The employer got angry. He decided to teach this man a lesson. He said, Put your money down. Then he took off his shirt and surprisingly the con-man lost. The employer, satisfied with himself, phoned the ex-employer to boost about his achievement against the con-man. 

I don't think he will bet again in a hurry. Don't be too confident, said the old employer. He had taken a bet of rs.2000/- with me that within five minutes of his reporting at your office, he will get you to take off your shirt. I guess he won.

One of the golden rules in presenting your ideas is that you should first of all be confident about yourself. You should not be hesitant in taking responsible risks. The world is looking for people with confidence and a decisive spirit. How confident are you?