Mahatma Gandhi's thoughts - A Compilation

George (Chartered Accountant) (649 Points)

09 December 2010  

Mahatma Gandhi - “Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.”

Mahatma Gandhi - “In matters of conscience, the law of the majority has no place.”

Mahatma Gandhi - “To believe in something, and not to live it, is dishonest.”

Shrimati Indira Gandhi - “My grandfather once told me that there are two kinds of people: those who work and those who take the credit. He told me to try to be in the first group; there was less competition there.”

Mahatma Gandhi - “A 'No' uttered from the deepest conviction is better than a 'Yes' merely uttered to please, or worse, to avoid trouble.”

Mahatma Gandhi - “It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence.”

Mahatma Gandhi - “Whenever you have truth it must be given with love, or the message and the messenger will be rejected.”

Mahatma Gandhi - “My commitment is to truth not consistency.”

Mahatma Gandhi - “I have nothing new to teach the world. Truth and Non-violence are as old as the hills. All I have done is to try experiments in both on as vast a scale as I could.”

Mahatma Gandhi - “True morality consists, not in following the beaten track, but in finding out the true path for ourselves and in fearlessly following it”

Mahatma Gandhi - “I have learned through bitter experience the one supreme lesson to conserve my anger, and as heat conserved is transmitted into energy, even so our anger controlled can be transmitted into a power that can move the world.”

Mahatma Gandhi - “I don't believe in stereotypes, I prefer to hate people on a more personal basis. The measure of a truly great man is the courtesy with which he treats lesser men. An eye for an eye will make the whole world go blind.”

Mahatma Gandhi - “In the attitude of silence the soul finds the path in a clearer light, and what is elusive and deceptive resolves itself into crystal clearness. Our life is a long and arduous quest after Truth.”

Mahatma Gandhi - “Not to have control over the senses is like sailing in a rudderless ship, bound to break to pieces on coming in contact with the very first rock.”

Mahatma Gandhi - “In this age of the rule of brute force, it is almost impossible for anyone to believe that any one else could possibly reject the law of the final supremacy of brute force.”

Mahatma Gandhi - “It is the quality of our work which will please God and not the quantity.”

Mahatma Gandhi - “The pursuit of truth does not permit violence on one's opponent.”

Mahatma Gandhi - “I do not want my house to be walled in on all sides and my windows to be stuffed. I want the cultures of all the lands to be blown about my house as freely as possible. But I refuse to be blown off my feet by any.”

Mahatma Gandhi - “I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent.”

Mahatma Gandhi - “I have known many meat eaters to be far more nonviolent than vegetarians.”

Mahatma Gandhi - “I first learned the concepts of non-violence in my marriage.”

Mahatma Gandhi - “You can chain me, you can torture me, you can even destroy this body, but you will never imprison my mind.”

Mahatma Gandhi - “I want to realize brotherhood or identity not merely with the beings called human, but I want to realize identity with all life, even with such things as crawl upon earth.”

Mahatma Gandhi - “Love is the strongest force the world possesses, and yet it is the humblest imaginable.”

Mahatma Gandhi - “To my mind, the life of a lamb is no less precious than that of a human being. I should be unwilling to take the life of a lamb for the sake of the human body.”