The dictionary describes depression as a condition of general emotional dejection and withdrawal, sadness greater and more prolonged than that warranted by any objective reason.
The question here is why does one get depressed? Is it the inability to cope with the situation or the high stress levels that come with success or failure?
Life is full of twists and turns, some pleasant others not so pleasant or at times dreadful. No one is devoid of problems in their lives. Everyone has their own personal set of problems.
Even the people who have a smile constantly on their face have problems. The only difference is they know how to tackle the problems of their life and smile about the fact that they can overcome those problems, similar to Mother Nature.
Some one compared the changes in Mother Nature with depression so aptly. He said each year nature sheds all its charm and the vibrant colors but then again it blooms to its optimum capacity to smile and teach us the most valuable lesson of life.
Seasonal changes are the main reason for depression in nature. Change is inevitable, be it in nature or in our life, but what are the changes is subjective. They may differ person to person, and so will the approach towards them.
Getting into depression is a normal phenomenon, but letting it over take us completely is not the best thing. There are no specific rules or a concepts to deal with it, whatever way one feels is the best way, one should adopt to tackle it.
Here are some really easy ways to tackle this "blown out of proportion problem".
- Lead your life on the basis of fundamental values of what is right and what's wrong.
- Avoid hurting others and yourself too.
- It's easier to change and adapt ourselves to new circumstances, than to expect vice a versa.
- Don't make any decisions when angry or sad.
- Fight it. If you can't, then get help.
- Enjoy nature; it's free.
- Spend time with our own self to introspect and retrospect daily.
- Yell, scream or punch the bag if you feel like doing it.
- Be joyful genuinely, and not just put up the mask of happiness.
- Last, but not the least, do not underestimate the power of Prayers.