Depreciation of software with expiry

While softwares in general are depreciated at 25%, as an intangible asset, how should a software with expiry of 3 yrs be depreciated?  Can linear method be used where every year one third of the asset is depreciated, or should I depreciate by 25% the first two years and in the year of expiry depreciate the balance?

Replies (4)
Quick Summary
This discussion explores how to depreciate software with a limited useful life, specifically a 3-year expiry. It contrasts the standard 25% depreciation rate with methods that align depreciation to the asset's actual lifespan. The conversation highlights the differences between accounting practices (SLM/WDV) and Income Tax Act requirements, particularly for individuals filing ITR 3, and questions whether the remaining balance can be depreciated in the final year.

As per company act you have to take depreciation as per the useful life of the asset as mentioned in the act itself. Again as per Income Tax act you have take depreciation as per the rates specifically mentioned in the act itself.

Ok,I am not a registered company, and I file ITR 3 since I am involved in intraday trading and sell some ad space online.  Hence, I believe only income tax act applies to me.  However,  since the software expires in 3 years, should I continue to depreciate the expense after 3 years, or on the 3rd year, depreciate the balance WDV?

for the purpose of Income Tax > WDV shall be applied @ 25 % 

for accounting purpose >> you can use SLM / WDV 

Hi Naveen, for Income tax, since on third year  the software expires and would no more be usable, can't I depreciate the rest of the WDV?

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
ARTICLESHIP 07 October 2026
Article Assistant

Malhotra Rajesh & Associates

New Delhi

B.Com

View Details
Company
17 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

Dass Gupta & Associates

Gurgaon

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 21 September 2026
CA Article Assistant

KK & Company Chartered Accountant

Pune

CA Inter

View Details
Company
19 September 2026
CA/Semi-CA/BCom

Pravin Sarvaiya

Mumbai

CA Inter

View Details
Company
Featured 21 September 2026
Consultant - Reporting

Finrep Advisors LLP

Mumbai

CA

View Details
Company
05 October 2026
Senior Accountant

Vision IT Peripherals Pvt Ltd

Mumbai

B.Com

View Details
Company
Featured 03 October 2026
Accountant

A P Lodha and Associates

Jalna

B.Com

View Details
Company
18 September 2026
Accounts & Finance Specialist

ULTRA CHEMICAL WORKS

Thane

CA Final

View Details