Concepts of beta

CA Saroj Kumar (Keen to learn something new every moments)   (2588 Points)

11 March 2014  

Beta Concept in market

*Beta is indicator of an Investment's Systematic Risk(i.e.It is concerned at Macro level of economy, Uts represents risk at economy level).

* It represents systematic risk associated with an investments in relation to Total risk associated with market portfolio.

*If a beta is 1.5 it does not mean that systematic risk of security is 1.5 it means security is 1.5 riskier as compared to the market as whole.

*Suppose that the beta value of a security is 1.2, it means that if return of market portfolio varies by 1%, the return from security is likly to be varied by 1.2%.

* Therefore , this security is riskier than the market bcz we expact that its return to fluctate more than market on a percetage basis.

* A security with beta grater then 1 is called Aggressive security.

* A Security with beta less then 1 is called Defensive Security.

* And a security with beta equal to 1 is called Netural Security.

Beta =    

Co-variance between Return from market and those from security.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Varience of Market portfolio

* Varience of Market portfolio= 1(taken always - assumption)

Co varience = Sum of XY/n,

where X= (X-mean of X) , Y = Y-mean of Y, (X & Y are two variable)

enlightenedIf any body has any doubt in SFM CA FINAL Plz post ur query here, i wil happy to solve, i am aslo going for MAY 2014. 

yes Comment ur best of experience here.

frownfrownfrownfrownfrownfrownfrownfrownfrowncheekycheekycheekycheekycheekycheekycheekycheekycheekycheekycheekycheekycheekycheekycheeky