Complaince - non-filers monitoring system of income tax

nitin (professional) (83 Points)

29 November 2015  

A person has recently received notice from income tax department that He has not filed his return( for AY 2015-16). But due to loss of job his income was below 2 lac. After receiving notice from income tax department he checked his Form26AS and found out that some Bank has deducted tax on some previous fixed deposits.

Now the person has to reply to the income tax department.

Q1. Should the person say that 'return not filed' or should he say that 'return under prepation'( and then file the return)?

Q2. Is it necessary to file return (if person doesnot want his TDS to be refunded)?