Share More

Compensation towards the court case settlement

anup (trainee)     17 January 2020

anup
trainee 
 2 likes  86 points

| My Other Post

Hello

I have a query. The court matter I'm fighting for years is going to be settled in a couple of days. I will receive compensation amt of 29lks. My question is

1. If I receive the amt by DD, and make an FD in bank, what tax, if any, will be applicable to me on the principle amt ie 29lk.
2. The said amount will be deposited in the account of my mother who is a housewife, senior citizen who has a PAN but hasn't filed her IT return yet. What if she doesn't file her return after depositing the amount in FD in her name?
3. If tax is applicable on the principle amount, what methods I can follow to minimise it?

Thanks in advance

avater

sabyasachi mukherjee   17 January 2020

sabyasachi mukherjee

113 likes  3059 points

View Profile | My Other Post

@ anup
only interest is taxable.
that too also calculate if it exceeds the threshold limit then it is taxable.
since she is a senior citizen.
sec 80ttb is applicable.

1 Like
avater

anup (trainee)     17 January 2020

anup
trainee 
 2 likes  86 points

But in the agreement of settlement, there is nowhere mentioned about the amount paid to us. We will be receiving it by DD separately after settlement. What will happen when I file itr

avater

rama krishnan   18 January 2020

rama krishnan

943 likes  10229 points

What is the relationship between you and the person who's paying the settlement amount? if that person doesn't fall in the definition of relatives, these 29 lakhs will be charged to tax under the head income from other sources

1 Like
avater

anup (trainee)     18 January 2020

anup
trainee 
 2 likes  86 points

Actually it goes like this. My opposing party in the dispute is due for settlement (let's name it A) is my relative but not close one. He has another land dispute going on with my wife's brother (let's say B). My opposing party pressurised my wife's brother to pressurise me to settle the my dispute (A) with him. Only then he will end the dispute with wife's brother (B)

Now my compensation amount will be paid by my wife's brother by DD from his own bank account. There will be nothing that I will receive directly from the opposing party. This means whatever I will receive will be paid to me by my wife's brother.

What rule says that receiving money from relative isn't taxable? (section number, just for my knowledge)

1 Like
avater

RAMAKRISHNAN R (INCOME TAX OFFICER)     18 January 2020

RAMAKRISHNAN R
INCOME TAX OFFICER 
 160 likes  1698 points

Refer section 56(2)(x) and definition to relatives

1 Like
avater

anup
trainee 
 2 likes  86 points

Is it necessary to make a gift deed for the amount to be received? Should it be compulsorily registered before sub registrar?

avater

Mangal Singh Khinchi (Kota)     18 January 2020

Mangal Singh Khinchi
Kota 
 6 likes  157 points

you should make gift deed for entire amount of rs. 29 lakhs & take this amount by dd/cheque/neft/rtgs. you also take this amount in your own account. & show this amount under the exampt income in income tax return form.

1 Like
avater

anup
trainee 
 2 likes  86 points

Is it compulsory to register it before sub registrar? Or just executing it is enough?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register