Career : proper discussion

CA SURENDRA KUMAR RAKHECHA (Practising CA at Surat) (26258 Points)

27 April 2013  

Sambit Baraj

• Sir, I have completed matriculation with 94%, +2 (Comm) with 85%, and BCom with 70%. I wish to give CAT this year. Are my grades fine if I wish to get into the top IIMs?
    In addition, I have completed Group 1 of CA-IPCC but do not have any work experience.

• Career Consultant
    21 hours ago
    Career Consultant
    • Firstly go for CAT. Hope you will crack it. If you don't have interest in CA-IPCC; then don't go for it. But tell me in which SUBJECT really you have interest (don't think for just marks scored).

• Sambit Baraj
    26 minutes ago
    Sambit Baraj
    • I am truly interested in economics and financial management. Although I have had very little formal exposure in both the fields, I have gathered quite a bit of working knowledge in those areas, out of my own efforts. Given an opportunity, I love making financial analysis of companies but hate accounting as I find them too monotonous and clerical a task. Marketing is another area of interest as well. But, CA is basically about accounts, filing returns, audit etc.It is often said that this coveted profession has extended the services it can offer from the traditional areas like audit to much lucrative fields like management consultancy. But, that is nothing less than hype and overblown glorification. As even in the CA-FINAL, there is a lone subject on financial management which I bet fails big time in allowing the students in calling themselves as students of finance. And, in the articleship training, the students are exposed to performing clerical auditing and return filing work. What I intend to convey is that the CA curriculum is good for creating professionals offering traditional services like audit and book-keeping. But, the problem arises when a student wants a job in the industry and has enrolled in the CA course. I am such a student.

• Career Consultant
    23 minutes ago
    Career Consultant
    • From the above; for you the best career is Stock Markets, Insurance & Banking. Better go for MBA in Finance. Better (if you can afford); do CFA course of USA.

• The last option CFA will give you an international exposure.

• Sambit Baraj
    21 minutes ago
    Sambit Baraj
    • Sir, do you mean CFA would be better for me than say, MBA (Fin)?

• Career Consultant
    20 minutes ago
    Career Consultant
    • Yes; in all respect.

• Career Consultant
    18 minutes ago
    Career Consultant
    • One more advice: regularly study in an anlytical way (not just read) some of the magazines like BUSINESS WORLD; CAPITAL MARKET, BUSINESS INDIA, MONEY etc. These will provide you how companies work (their action plans also in different business scenario), how they change their strategies when circumstances change etc.etc....a true leaning about ECONOMICS called APPLIED ECONOMICS.

• Sambit Baraj
    15 minutes ago
    Sambit Baraj
    • Thank You so much, Sir.

• Sir, what is the cost of pursuing level 1 CFA?

• Sambit Baraj
    10 minutes ago
    Sambit Baraj
    • Sir, do you recommend taking a bank loan for pursuing CFA?

• Career Consultant
    9 minutes ago
    Career Consultant
    • First of all; decide whether you wish to go for CAT or CFA.

• However; in both the cases; you may take a bank loan. (If you don't feel pressure to repayment - although it is very easy to pay because by maximum 3 months salaries;you would be able to repay the whole loan assuming it Rs.2,00,000).

• i.e. Total Cost including coaching, other books etc.

• Is there any coaching class for CFA in Kolkata?

• Sambit Baraj
    6 minutes ago
    Sambit Baraj
    • I guess Person/Eten CFA is in Kolkatta?

• What if i dont intend to take coaching for CFA, just to cut on costs? Would it be too risky?

• Career Consultant
    4 minutes ago
    Career Consultant
    • Please enquire first of all regarding all the facts before joining. It may also be at Bhubaneshwar.

• Sambit Baraj
    about a minute ago
    Sambit Baraj
    • Thank You for all the details.

• Will get back to you soon.

• Career Consultant
    a few seconds ago
    Career Consultant
    • Pl. mail me all the information which you gather. It may be useful for others also. e-mail : ccsurat3012301 @ yahoo.co.in