Capital Gains Tax on Mutual Funds acquired through Inheritance

Rohit Verma (1 Points)

04 January 2022  

Hi,

I have acquired Mutual Funds through Inheritance (I am the nominee for the Mutual Funds) and the transmission of the same has been concluded.

According to the provisions of the Will, I should see those units and divide the proceeds of the sale amongst 2 beneficiaries in the ratio 50% each (after deducting any tax liabilities that may arise).

I have few queries around these :

(1) Will there be any tax that I need to pay simply due to acquisition of those units ( Even before I sell them) ?

(2) On selling those units, will there be Capital Gains tax that will need to be paid ? If so, will the Capital Gains tax need to be paid by me or by the 2 beneficiaries or by both ? Are there any other Tax implications that we need to be aware of ?

(3) What date of acquisition would be considered for the purposes of calculating Capital Gains ? Would it be the date when the units got transferred to me OR would it be the original purchase date ?

(4) How can I determine whether it would fall under Short Term Capital Gains or Long Term Capital Gains ? What date needs to be considered in such case ?

(5) Is there any waiting period post transmission of the units that I should be waiting for before selling the units ?

Thanks.