Can we claim hra while filing returns for ay2012-13

I changed my job in January 2012. However while submitting my investments to my new company in March2012,  I did not submit the House rent receipts for months january2012 to March2012. I thought I could submit it when I file my returns (This is what I have done in the prevous financial year as well). However I spoke to two CAs  today and they both told me I cannot do this now.It should be done by my company finance dept and the form 16 will have to be revised. I spoke to finance dept and they said its already submitted to IT dept and hence form 16 cannot be revised. Is there any other way I can claim tax exemption for my house rent?

Replies (1)

I think that you can claim exemption for the HRA while filing the return of incom, provided that rent receipts for these three months are available with you.  It would not matter even if you have not submitted your proofs to your current co HR.  the co might have deducted tax for non-provision of the HRA information.  But you cna claim the exemption while filing the return and claim refund of excess TDS made.

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
17 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

Dass Gupta & Associates

Gurgaon

CA

View Details
Company
08 September 2026
Audit Executive

Thammana & Associates

Srikakulam

B.Com

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 04 September 2026
Accounts Executive

Hema Yashwanth & Associates

Chennai

B.Com

View Details
Company
19 September 2026
Finance Manager

Mugdha Art Studio

Hyderabad

CA

View Details
Company
20 September 2026
Semi Qualified CA

Navin & Associates

Mumbai

CA Inter

View Details
Company
09 September 2026
Semi Qualified CA / CA Inter - 2 Groups Cleared

Getmyca Consultant Pvt Ltd

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
16 September 2026
Internal Audit - Team Lead

Consulting & Beyond

Chennai

CA

View Details
Company
18 September 2026
Accounts & Finance Specialist

ULTRA CHEMICAL WORKS

Thane

CA Final

View Details