Can I file a NIL return for a firm using ITR 4, or should I show a Rs. 1 turnover?

Can I file Nil Return for my partnership firm using ITR 4? ITR 5 is too complicated for me. 

I have received a defective return notice today. It said,

"As per rule 12 (1)(ca), a person deriving income under the head “profits or gains from business /profession” and  such income computed in accordance with special provisions of section 44AD or 44AE or 44ADA, is required to furnished return in ITR-4. The Return of Income is filed using ITR 4, however, income from business or profession under section 44AD or 44AE or 44ADA is not disclosed"

Possible Resolution - "ITR 4 is not applicable to your case since income from business or profession under section 44AD or 44AE or 44ADA is not disclosed. If you do not have any income from business or profession under section 44AD, 44AE or 44ADA, then kindly file corrected Return using ITR 2 (for individuals and H.U.F) or ITR 5 (In case of Firm)"

I was thinking to show a turnover of Rs. 1 so that I can file ITR 4. Is this a possible solution if I can't file nil return using ITR 4?

 

Replies (4)
May try with Turnover 100/- I think it should work out

Thank you for your reply Kapadia.

Instead of Nil return, if I show a return of Rs. 100 then don't I have to pay a late fees again since it's already past the due date? Is it Rs. 1000 even for firms? 

On filing return under 139(9) defective return notice , there is no late fee . Happy !!

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
26 September 2026
Chartared Accountant

pushpganga ventures

Pune

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 07 September 2026
Article/ Paid Assistant

Murali and Sumeet Chartered Accountant

Bengaluru

CA Foundation

View Details
Company
15 September 2026
Client-site CA associate

Aditya Muley and Co

Mumbai

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 01 September 2026
Articles

Saini Pati Shah & Co LLP, Chartered Accountants

Mumbai

CA Foundation

View Details
Company
18 September 2026
Accounts & Finance Specialist

ULTRA CHEMICAL WORKS

Thane

CA Final

View Details
Company
Featured 21 September 2026
Consultant - Reporting

Finrep Advisors LLP

Mumbai

CA

View Details
Company
09 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

Aviv Global Private Limited

Ahmedabad

CA

View Details
Company
22 September 2026
Account Assistant

Chirag P Shah & Co. Chartered Accountant

Pune

B.Com

View Details