Availing home loan & hra exemptions

Vaish T (85 Points)

21 December 2015  
I work in a private company in Mumbai and avail HRA. In Dec-2012 I bought an apartment at my native place with SBI Home loan. The EMIs were started immediately. In June-2015 I got possession of the apartment. This is the first and ONLY house in my name. Currently my family (spouse, parents, kids) stay in this new apartment. However for work purpose, I have to stay at another place (Mumbai) using rented accommodation. Question is: 1. How should I declare the status of this property (new apartment)? ‘Self-Occupied’, ‘To-Let’ or ‘Deemed-to-let’? Since I have not rented out the new apartment to anyone, can I state it is as ‘Self Occupied’? 2. If it is ‘Self Occupied’, can I claim both, HRA and Home loan exemptions, for the FY 2015-16? 3. In case of ‘Self Occupied’, if I cannot claim HRA and Home Loan exemptions together, do I need to declare it as ‘To-Let’ to avail both exemptions? In that case I would need to show some earnings from the House property as rent while filing tax returns next year, even though actually I am not earning anything from the property. 4. Which IT return form I need to file now for FY2015-16/AY2016-17? (I was filing ITR1 till this year). I don’t have any other income other than Salary now. I believe, many of us would facing this question long time. Many of my colleagues, simply use either HRA or loan exemption in this situation. Hence I need expert advice from you which would help me to save more tax. Please provide Thank you.