Auto filling of some fields of ITR when e-filing

Amit Kumar Das (Retd) (220 Points)

18 January 2022  

Some fields in ITR forms for e-filing are auto filled from data bases and do not require manual inputs.

I would like to know if this auto filing also includes data of 26AS including TDS by banks for FDs.

I am asking this question for the following reasons.

1. I am a resident Indian pensioner having  income from only pension and interests of bank FDs+saving bank interests which are subject to tax.

(Though I have some LTCG in FY 2020-21 from redemption of ELSS, it is not taxable after godfathering because such income is less than Rs.100000/-)

2. I duly e-filed ITR-2 within the extended due date which was acknowledged by CPC.

3. After processing CPC sent to me an intimation u/s 143(1) in which they have raised a demand exactly equal to the TDS of one of the two banks who have deducted tax at source and deposited to Govt for my FDs.

I had deposited total tax for which I am liable by way of self-assessment tax after substracting full TDS of the two banks from my total tax liability correctly calculated

All these data of TDS and self-assessment tax paid are correctly reflected in 26AS for AY 2021-22

4. On scrutiny of the intimation u/s 143(1), I found that TDS by one bank has been shown wrongly as TDS deducted in 2019 in place of 2020. This surely has led to this wrong demand.

If this field is auto filled, then surely it is their fault may be due to still existing glitches in the new portal.

Will any expert kindly inform me whether this field is auto filled?