I hardly learnt anything in three years with my B Sc. Biochemistry Background.
My bosses thought I will never become CA. But I completed in total 5 years and 6 months in 1989.
Today I have a small firm but we all work honestly and with our brains.
I make sure to give personal training to each and every article of mine. Though I can't afford to pay hefty stipend but I give good learning experience.
If one learns how to use brains in unforseen problems during articleship, the purpose of articleship is served. Tax laws change. Company law changes but main thing is getting into the habit of using once brains and that is what remains after articlship.
Join a small firm and learn things better rather than doing big Audits only for name sake and understand nothing in the end.
Happy Learning. We remain students throughout even after passing CA Exams.
I have worked with one of the big 4's. The only thing I can assure you is that it is very difficult to get into a big 4 or a reputed corporate without the big 4 or big 8 tag in your articleship. Nobody takes you seriously.....
Its the brand value of the big 4's that takes you places... All those who are telling you that its not important to get a big 4 tag have not even dared to get inside a big4 office.... I seriously doubt that they will be able to clear the multiple interview rounds at the big 4....
Don't listen to them ... If you want to make it big get into a big firm . The exposure that you'll get will be unparalleled.... You won't be able to get even 10% in a small or mid sized firm....