"isk Management: it's not rocket science - it's much more complicated"

(Guest)

In popular imagination, rocket science is the totemic example of scientific complexity. Professor john adams - Britain's leading academic expert on risk - argues here that risk management is in fact much more complex. As Professor Adams puts it, for the scientist studying turbulence "the clouds do not react to what the weatherman or physicist says about them". The risk manager must, however, deal not only with risk perceived through science, but also with virtual risk - risks where the science is inconclusive and people are thus "liberated to argue from, and act upon, pre-established beliefs, convictions, prejudices and superstitions."

The affluent world is drowning in risk assessments. Almost everyone now has a "duty of care" to identify formally all possible risks to themselves, or that they might impose on others, and to demonstrate that they have taken all reasonable steps to "control" them. It is not clear that those imposing this duty of care appreciate the magnitude and difficulty of the task they have set.

Last year I participated in a conference on terrorism orld Federation of Scientists' International Seminar on Terrorism, Erice, Sicily, 7-12 May 2004]. Most of the other participants were eminent scientists, and I found myself in a workshop entitled Cross-disciplinary challenges to the quantification of risk.