TDS for Kisan Vikas Patra (Post office)

Dear Friends,

I know income earned from KVP is taxable. My actual question is

Incase of Bank Fixed deposits, Banks calculate TDS every financial year, if the interest amount crosses 10,000/- then it deduct TDS at 10.3%.

I want to know same for Kisan Vikas Patra, Here Is Post office will deduct TDS every year?

or Is it like, If I invest 2 lakh they will give me 4 lakh after maturity and it is my responsibility to show interest earned as income?

I want to know whether post office will deduct TDS or not?

Replies (5)

 

Dear Mr. Srinivas,

The KVP deposits are exempt from Tax Deduction at Source (TDS) at the time of withdrawal.

Thanks

Praveen

 

 

yes. This I read.

I found the statement " Interest accrued on yearly basis will be taken as income  for Income Tax purposes" in indian postal website.

to make my question simpler. If I invest 10 lakh in KVP, after 8 years 7 months. I must get 20 lakh without any TDS deduction?

Will I get 20 lakh?

Dear Srinivas,

Yes, you will get 20 Lacs at the time of maturity, because intrest accrued on deposit will consider as "INCOME FROM OTHER SOURCES". every year you are paying tax on that income (if applicable).at time of maturity there will NO Tax again.

 

Oh! Like NSC. Is it? Thank you.

Difference is there..

In NSC, accrued Interest amount treated it as a RE INVESTMENT and it is eligible u/s 80 C but it is not possible under KVP.

Regards,

Ravi

 

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
08 September 2026
Semi-Qualified Assitant

Subrahmanyam & Sivudu CA Firm

Hyderabad

CA Inter

View Details
Company
15 September 2026
Client-site CA associate

Aditya Muley and Co

Mumbai

CA

View Details
Company
16 September 2026
Internal Audit - Team Lead

Consulting & Beyond

Chennai

CA

View Details
Company
19 September 2026
CA/Semi-CA/BCom

Pravin Sarvaiya

Mumbai

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 01 October 2026
Articled Assistant

KPSN & Associates LLP

Chennai

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 28 September 2026
Junior Accountant

J S P M & Associates LLP

Pune

B.Com

View Details
Company
09 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

Aviv Global Private Limited

Ahmedabad

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
Article Assistant

MANUJ SHARMA AND COMPANY

Noida

CA Inter

View Details