ICICI

Set off of gambling loss

Nelli.pradeep kumar reddy (CA)     21 June 2017

Nelli.pradeep kumar reddy
CA 
 1 likes  118 points

| My Other Post

Dear all

As per the provisions of income tax ,No loss can be set off against income from winnings from lotteries, crossword puzzles, race including horse race, card game, and any other game of any sort or from gambling or betting of any form or nature.

Now the case is One my friend plyaed game in Ace2three.com ( I think it falls under gambling). he played for an amount of Rs.5,00,000 and he lost Rs.2,80,000 ( In different games over the year ) . But  Among some winnings they deducted TDS about Rs 60,000.

As per the provision loss can not be set off against income of gambling.

Now my Query is 

1.Does game played in Ace2three falls under gambling

2. Is there any possibility of claiming this refund ?

3. Is there any case  law in favour of Assessee stating that gambling income can be set off against gambling income of same year ( Not for carry forward ).

Kindly provide with a solution if u have any idea about it.

Thanks in advance

Pradeep

avater

Sumeet (CA)     21 June 2017

Sumeet
CA 
 29 likes  527 points

View Profile | My Other Post

1. Yes the games played under Ace2three falls under gambling as per income tax laws. They also deduct TDS from the winnings under section 194B which is specifically for Deduction of Tax on winning from lottery and games of similar nature.

2. No, you cannot claim refund for this TDS deducted because no deduction u/s sec 80C or 80D or any other deduction/allowance is allowed from such income. The Benefit of basic exemption limit and income tax slab rate is also not applicable to this income, also you cannot adjust any loss against this income. The entire amount received will be taxable at the flat rate of 30.9%.The only way you can get any refund out of above is if your client has no other income except the above income during the year and total winning does not exceeds 5,00,000. In that case you can claim rebate under section 87A (which is 5000 for FY 2016-17) as refund.

3. No Loss (including Gambling loss for the same year) can be adjusted against winnings from lottery and similar games. You cannot even deduct any expenses against such income.

Hope this helps

avater

LeoBravo (student)     27 October 2018

LeoBravo
student 
 18 points

I do beliveve your friend needs to start using VPN and play under a different name in another service. And to tell the truth, gambling is not always bad at all, you just need to control your game! There a lot of benefits of playing! For example, Gambling is an activity that seems to work well in keeping the mind young in many people around the world. A game of skill will exercise the brain and help keep the mind working. As we get older we stop using parts of our brain and these areas become weaker and can lead to faster senility, but there are things that can help slow down this process and keep your brain strong. So, you don't need to stop, you can try Domino Kiu Kiu, for example. Accordingly, have you ever played dominoes?

Florence Caldwell (coffee)     09 October 2019

Florence Caldwell
coffee 
 28 points

the site was probably the most informative for me, unfortunately I do not remember its name, but there they talked about people who have achieved world success in the world of gambling.
and there were other articles on other sites, but the best part is that people who have achieved something and wrote good articles have come together and will start the project on [url= https://gambling-lab.com/]Gambling Lab[/url], for those like me and those who have never played or vice versa have a lot of experience. I am sure that there will be mega-useful information for everyone

Florence Caldwell
coffee 
 28 points

the site was probably the most informative for me, unfortunately I do not remember its name, but there they talked about people who have achieved world success in the world of gambling.
and there were other articles on other sites, but the best part is that people who have achieved something and wrote good articles have come together and will start the project on <a href=https://gambling-lab.com/>Gambling Lab</a>, for those like me and those who have never played or vice versa have a lot of experience. I am sure that there will be mega-useful information for everyone

Florence Caldwell
coffee 
 28 points

and there were other articles on other sites, but the best part is that people who have achieved something and wrote good articles have come together and will start the project on [url=https://gambling-lab.com/]Gambling Lab[/url], for those like me and those who have never played or vice versa have a lot of experience. I am sure that there will be mega-useful information for everyone

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Popular Discussion

view more »