NRI Residence Status Inquiry

I have doubt in determining resident tax status of FY2022-2023:

1. I left India for employment on 01-Oct 11:30 pm

2. I also was not in India from 11-Sep 07:00 am to 14-Sep 5:30 pm - it was vacation outside India

3. Considering this, will I be Resident or RNOR?

 

Replies (5)
Quick Summary
This discussion concerns an NRI's tax residency status for the financial year 2022-2023. The individual departed India for employment on October 1st and also had a vacation outside India from September 11th to 14th. The core question is whether these dates make them a 'Resident' or 'RNOR' (Resident but Not Ordinarily Resident) under Indian tax law. There's a debate regarding the calculation of days spent in India, with one calculation suggesting 182 days, potentially classifying them as a resident.

NRI RESIDENTIAL STATUS IS SUFFICIENT.

Thanks Sabyasachi for the reply. Some other CA told me that I will be considered as resident indian because 11th Sep and 14th Sep are considered to be in India which makes to 182 days in India. Any comments on that front?

Correct. He would be resident or RNOR, if eligible...

APRIL TO 1ST OCT - 184 DAYS LESS: 12& 13TH SEPT - 2 DAYS DAYS IN INDIA = 182 It seems to be resident in india for f.y. 2022-23.

Thanks Lavesh ji.

 

Now, Singapore follows Jan to Dec financial year. India follows Apr to Mar. In AY 2023-2024, I will show income from India as well as Singapore. And get tax credit claimed for the Singapore income (Oct-2022 to Dec-2022). How can I get tax credit for Jan-2023 to Mar-2023 in India because I will get tax statement only in Dec-2023 in Singapore

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Related Topics :

Loading
Company
ARTICLESHIP 01 October 2026
Articled Assistant

KPSN & Associates LLP

Chennai

CA Inter

View Details
Company
Featured 12 September 2026
Assistant Manager - Finance & Compliance

Naveen Fintech Pvt Ltd

Kolkata

CA Inter

View Details
Company
Featured 03 October 2026
Accountant

A P Lodha and Associates

Jalna

B.Com

View Details
Company
09 September 2026
Semi Qualified CA / CA Inter - 2 Groups Cleared

Getmyca Consultant Pvt Ltd

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
CA Article Trainee

SR BAGAI & Co.

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
08 September 2026
Audit Executive

Thammana & Associates

Srikakulam

B.Com

View Details
Company
18 September 2026
Accounts & Finance Specialist

ULTRA CHEMICAL WORKS

Thane

CA Final

View Details
Company
22 September 2026
Account Assistant

Chirag P Shah & Co. Chartered Accountant

Pune

B.Com

View Details