Metro Man

CA Ravi Khandelwal (Business) (752 Points)

25 May 2011  

Famously called the 'Metro Man', he is known for his commitment to work and sure-footed managerial skills

Elattuvalapil Sreedharan, 79, managing director, Delhi Metro Rail Corporation, rightfully commands the respect and adulation of several engineering aspirants in the country. Famously called the 'Metro Man', he is known for his commitment to work and sure-footed managerial skills.

He started his career as a lecturer in civil engineering at the Government Polytechnic, Kozhikode followed by a job at the Indian Railways and has never looked back since. An inspiration to many, Sreedharan, in an interview with Aspire talks about what prompted him to take up engineering as a career, what kept him strong all this while and his message for students.

Q.What prompted you to take up engineering as a career? What acted as a catalyst?
A. My early dreams were for a medical career, but my eldest brother prompted and encouraged me to take up a career in the railways. As a boy, I used to evince a special joy and interest building mud houses, bridges and canals. This must have prompted my brother to guide me in to the engineering profession.

Q. People in the nation-building process have to face many road blocks. What kept you-being at the helm of affairs-strong?
A. In any nation-building process or in any other venture, there will be roadblocks, but once one has been given a particular mandate, one has to overcome such road blocks through sheer tenacity, innovation and dexterity. Once his sincerity of purpose is evident and he is able to deliver as he promises, my experience has been that such road blocks gradually vanish.

Q. Do you feel there is an urgent need to produce skilled engineers in our country?
A. Yes, there is, especially to cope with the massive infrastructure development that India is witnessing at present. However, a lot of young engineers prefer to shift abroad for the lure of greater returns. We must work towards inculcating the virtues of patriotism and passion for the country's development in them so that they stay in India and serve the nation. It is also necessary to create a proper atmosphere, environment and encouragement for our young engineers to stay on in the country.

Q.What, in your opinion, is required for the overall development of the country?
A. What the country needs is good governance at all levels-at the Centre, in the states, in the corporations, municipalities and Panchayat level. For this, we need leaders with impeccable integrity, vision and commitment. We have to also change the system of administration, which we have inherited from British. This needs to be re-modelled to suit the democratic aspirations of the people. The most important requirement of this country is leaders with integrity and passion.

Q. Any message for young India?
A. There are many qualities in today's youth that are admirable, especially their competitiveness, tenacity and zeal to succeed. However, I feel concerned about an allround erosion of moral values that has extended to the youth as well. My message to youngsters would be to imbibe good values, particularly the quality of integrity, and achieve competence in their respective fields so that they can serve their country well. They must nurture a passion for serving their fellowmen.

Source  https://in.education.yahoo.com/news/yeduindiatoday/right-track-20110524