Mail merge data from excel

Ram Avtar Singh (Nagari Sultanpur U.P.Delhi)   (14477 Points)

07 January 2010  

If you’re creating invitations for a wedding or another big event, you think it’s no big deal … it’s only a few hundred, you can knock that out in a couple of hours right? Type them up in Word, print them out and you’re done!

A couple of months later, you’ve got another job ahead of you … the thank you cards. Hopefully you saved the Word doc that you slaved over last time … formatting it and making it look just right.

But even if you did save your doc, you’ve still got plenty of work ahead of you … going through all of the names one by one, checking them off, making changes … it takes some time.

The solution? An Excel spreadsheet that allows you to very easily sort the list, make any necessary changes and have your labels ready in no time.

Working with an Excel spreadsheet makes the whole process of creating address labels — as well as other things, such as personalized letters, thank you cards, etc. — less time consuming and very easy.

Knowing how to merge Excel and Word documents can come in very handy in many situations. So today I’m going to show you a very easy but very useful time saver — how to create address labels in Word 2007 using an Excel spreadsheet.

Here’s what a simple Excel spreadsheet can look like:

Merging for Dummies: Creating Address Labels in Word 2007 - 1

Save this baby to your hard drive, call it something obvious like AddressList and all you need to do now is a quick merge between Excel and Word and your address labels are done in less than 10 minutes.

Here’s a step-by-step that shows you how easy it is to create address labels in Word 2007!

Creating Address Labels in Word 2007

1. Before you start make sure you have your Excel spreadsheet ready. Now open up Microsoft Word 2007 and click on the Merge tab.

Merging for Dummies: Creating Address Labels in Word 2007 - 2

2. Next, click on the Start Mail Merge button and select Labels.

Merging for Dummies: Creating Address Labels in Word 2007 - 3

3. Now it’s time for you to select the Label Vendor. In my case I am going to use Avery US Letter.

Merging for Dummies: Creating Address Labels in Word 2007 - 4

4. I have the 8662 labels so I am going to scroll down and select that. You should find the label number that’s appropriate for your labels, it’s usually on the box.

When you find your label number, select it and click OK.

Merging for Dummies: Creating Address Labels in Word 2007 - 5

5. You might get the following message. What this means is that if you typed something in this document and you did not save it, it will be lost. If you do not want that, hit Cancel, save the document and then repeat the steps from 1-5.

If you have a blank screen behind this message then go ahead and click OK to continue.

Merging for Dummies: Creating Address Labels in Word 2007 - 6

6. Next, click on the Select Recipients button on the ribbon and select Use Existing List.

Merging for Dummies: Creating Address Labels in Word 2007 - 7

7. Browse to the location where your Address List file is and select it. I have mine on the Desktop. I will click on it once, and then select Open.

Merging for Dummies: Creating Address Labels in Word 2007 - 8

8. In this window, select the sheet you have your list on. Mine is on the first sheet as this is all I have there. If you didn’t do anything special in Excel, your address list should be on the first sheet as well.

Also notice the check box next to First row of data contains column headers. You should have that checked if your columns have headers such as: First name, Last name, Address, etc.

If you don’t have the column headers, I would recommend going back to the excel file and adding them in. It’s going to make your life a lot easier while going through the merge. When ready, click the OK button.

Merging for Dummies: Creating Address Labels in Word 2007 - 9

9. Once you click OK you will see the following document. It may look a bit scary but don’t worry, all is good.

Merging for Dummies: Creating Address Labels in Word 2007 - 10

10. Since you are creating address labels, you will have two choices here. The first choice is to click on the Address Block button on the ribbon.

Merging for Dummies: Creating Address Labels in Word 2007 - 11

This option will automatically select all your columns and create an address for you.

Merging for Dummies: Creating Address Labels in Word 2007 - 12

The address looks good, but notice that we are missing the state. It’s not listed here but when we check back in our Excel document, it’s there.

Well this is ok, we can fix it. Go ahead and click on the Match Fields button.

11. Now in the left column find State and in that row click on the arrow pointing down, then select your header name for the State column. Mine is called State, so I will select that and click OK.

Merging for Dummies: Creating Address Labels in Word 2007 - 13

12. Now we see that the state is showing and the address looks good. Go ahead and click the OK button.

Merging for Dummies: Creating Address Labels in Word 2007 - 14

13. You will notice that in our first address label spot we have something called << AddressBlock >>.

Merging for Dummies: Creating Address Labels in Word 2007 - 15

If you decide to print your labels now, you will only get that first address in the first label. You need to make sure that the << AddressBlock >> appears on each label following the << NextRecord >> code. To do that you need to click on Update Labels option on the ribbon.

Merging for Dummies: Creating Address Labels in Word 2007 - 16

14. Once you click on that button, all labels will update.

Merging for Dummies: Creating Address Labels in Word 2007 - 17

And you are almost done! Now you have to click on the Finish & Merge button and select Edit Individual Documents to see what your labels will look like.

Merging for Dummies: Creating Address Labels in Word 2007 - 18

15. Make sure All is selected and click OK.

Merging for Dummies: Creating Address Labels in Word 2007 - 19

16. TA DA!!! Now all you need to do is print your labels.

Merging for Dummies: Creating Address Labels in Word 2007 - 20

Another Way to Merge …

1. Another way to do the merge is to pick the fields manually. To do that you will need to select the Insert Merge Field option on the ribbon and select one field at a time.

Merging for Dummies: Creating Address Labels in Word 2007 - 21

2. To start out, insert First Name, hit the space bar and then insert Last Name. After that, hit the enter key and insert Address.

Hit the enter key again, insert City, hit the comma key, and the space bar, insert State, hit the space bar again, and insert Zip Code.

This way all of your spacing and punctuation will be correct and your first label should look something like this.

Merging for Dummies: Creating Address Labels in Word 2007 - 22

3. You can also format the first label any way you want it. For example, you can change the font, you can center the text, make it bold, etc.

Merging for Dummies: Creating Address Labels in Word 2007 - 23

4. Once you are done making edits to the text and formatting, don’t forget to go back to your Mailings tab on your ribbon and select the Update Labels button. This will make sure that all your formatting and changes that you made to the first label are copied over to all the other labels.

Merging for Dummies: Creating Address Labels in Word 2007 - 24

5. Now you’re ready to view and print your labels. Click on the Finish & Merge option on your ribbon and select Edit Individual Documents.

Merging for Dummies: Creating Address Labels in Word 2007 - 25