Itr for part time/ freelance work

Hello all,

I have a query regarding which head to declare my income under and also which ITR form to use. I am currently doing marketing/ blogging for a design firm and also managing social media for another company. I work from home in both cases and receive a fixed monthly cheque from each company. One of them also has been deducting TDS at 10% each month and have provided me a TDS certificate for the same. My net payable tax is less than the TDs already deducted so I will be getting a refund.

My confusion is whether I can declare these two sources of income under 'Salary' in ITR-1 or under 'Income from other sources'. Or else if I should be using a whole other ITR (ITR 4 has been suggested from online research)

Also, I intend to apply for a US/ Schengen visa next year and am concerned they might reject my application on the basis of ITR-4 because of me being a 'freelancer' instead of a 'Salaried' person.

I would be very grateful for any advice. Thanks a lot in advance. 

Replies (2)

Hi

In your Case there is no employer & employee relationship in both the cases. As i think that TDS U/s 194J @ 10% has to deducted from you. so u need to be filed ITR 4 as Income from business or profession.

Deducting TDS at 10% does not come under salary. They are paying you professional fees in which case you cannot file ITR-1. You will be required to file ITR-4. 

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
19 September 2026
CA/Semi-CA/BCom

Pravin Sarvaiya

Mumbai

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 28 September 2026
Junior Accountant

J S P M & Associates LLP

Pune

B.Com

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
CA Article Trainee

SR BAGAI & Co.

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 18 September 2026
Industrial Trainee

Twenty Point Nine Five Ventures Private Limited

Noida

CA Inter

View Details
Company
20 September 2026
Semi Qualified CA

Navin & Associates

Mumbai

CA Inter

View Details
Company
Featured 21 September 2026
Consultant - Reporting

Finrep Advisors LLP

Mumbai

CA

View Details
Company
09 September 2026
Semi Qualified CA / CA Inter - 2 Groups Cleared

Getmyca Consultant Pvt Ltd

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 07 September 2026
CA Articles

Kothari Jain Patil & Chartered Accountants

Pune

CA Inter

View Details