How to remit TDS deducted on purchase of property from NRI

I understand I need to deduct TDS @ 20% (plus surcharge and cess) when I buy property from an NRI. Assuming the sale consideration is say 100 lakhs, I pay the seller 80 lakhs, retaining 20 lakhs. My question is how do I remit this amount to income tax? I plan to do this online, if I go to e-pay tax from income tax website, it says select 26QB (which I know is for residents, not NRI), once I select this, it asks for residential status of seller. Once I mention NRI, it states use Form 27Q. If I understand correctly, 27Q is for filing the return after remitting the tax as it asks for the challan number. So how do I pay this tax? What challan do I use?

Kindly help

Subramania

Replies (3)
Quick Summary
When purchasing property from an NRI, you must deduct TDS at 20% (plus surcharge and cess). While Form 26QB is for residents, NRIs require Form 27Q. The process involves remitting the deducted tax, typically within 15 days of deduction, using the correct challan. This guide clarifies the payment procedure and form requirements for remitting TDS on NRI property transactions.

you need to file Form 27Q within 15 days of deducting the TDS

Please connect with me on nine eight two zero eight zero three five nine three and avail professional services in this regard
Section 195 and 27Q is applicable

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
19 September 2026
CA/Semi-CA/BCom

Pravin Sarvaiya

Mumbai

CA Inter

View Details
Company
Featured ARTICLESHIP 06 October 2026
Semi Qualified

AJAY SINGH AND CO LLP

Thane

CA Final

View Details
Company
16 September 2026
Internal Audit - Team Lead

Consulting & Beyond

Chennai

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 08 October 2026
ARTICLE TRAINEE

S.B.G. & CO. CHARTERED ACCOUNTANTS

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
30 September 2026
Senior Accountant

Codeboard Technology

Chennai

B.Com

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 21 September 2026
CA Article Assistant

KK & Company Chartered Accountant

Pune

CA Inter

View Details
Company
Featured 03 October 2026
Accountant

A P Lodha and Associates

Jalna

B.Com

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 07 October 2026
Article Trainee/ CMA Trainee

RMA And Associates LLP

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details