How to give a Job Winning Interview....

CA Punit (CA) (1775 Points)

20 February 2011  

First of all CONGRATS once again to all my dear friends..who successfully acquired the magnificient 2 letter prefix 'CA' b4 ur names...

Now 4 all who looked fwd to jobs must be ready by this time to appear 4 interviews @ ICAI campus &/or off campus..

For this i've some tips to share with U on..

How to give a job-winning interview 

How to give a Job Winning InterviewThe way to crack a job interview is not just by giving answers, but the ‘right’ answers. Here are some important tips on how to get it right

Create a strong resume. Build a compelling case on why you fit the job role: 

The process of giving a job winning interview starts by forming a strong resume. A resume works as an entrance test to get an interview. A person’s resume should be concise and convey more in fewer words. For example, instead of saying, “I am an exceptional guitarist”, one can say, “I was the lead guitarist of an award winning rock band back in college”.

Do your primary research on your potential employer 

Every recruiter expects you to have some basic knowledge about the organization and the industry that you are contemplating joining. Hence, it is advisable to do a primary research before going. After all, the employer has a lot of information about the applicant, so it’s only polite if the applicant evens the score. 

Highlight your strengths & experience

During an interview it is important to highlight one’s strengths and experiences that appropriately fit the needs of the role. The employer will be assessing the interviewee’s fitment with the job role, and in order to respond appropriately, one needs to understand the specific needs and expertise relevant to the position one is applying for. Never criticize your current employer: There is a saying ‘whatever goes around, comes back,’ it is never helpful to criticize your current employer and cite that as one of the reasons for changing your job. You may be talking about your prospective employer the same way in the coming years. It is helpful to focus on the lack of challenges in current job fit not being in line with your career aspirations, want of greater responsibilities and the learning opportunities your new employer offers as some of the reasons for seeing a change. 

Be confident

One should always remember to be fiercely confident, show willingness and enthusiasm for the job and appear as a genuine person who loves what he/she does.

Prepare, Prepare, Prepare 

Before the critical day it is helpful to prepare by reading your resume critically, reading up your prospective employer and speaking to your consultant in detail about the job & employer. Remember opportunity knocks only once, better be prepared to interview with it.