GST basics for a freelancer

Hello everyone,

I've recently transitioned into freelancing in IT (software development & support) after a decade in a salaried role. I've learned that I may need to register for GST and apply for an LUT. Could anyone guide me on the key steps I should take? I currently have one US-based client, though more may follow later. Based on my projections, I’m likely to cross an annual turnover of 25 lakhs, though this may vary.

Here are some questions I have:

  1. Is GST registration mandatory for me?
  2. Is an LUT required, and if so, what is its validity? How many invoices can I issue under a single LUT? (I've heard from an auditor that a separate LUT might be needed for each invoice.)
  3. Should the LUT number be mentioned on every invoice?
  4. Can I claim a refund on items purchased for my freelancing work, such as a laptop or monitor? If so, is there a timeframe for eligible purchases, and could items bought two months ago qualify?
  5. What are the timelines for GST filing, and any advice on staying organized for it?

I appreciate any insights you can share!

Replies (1)

 Here are the key steps and answers to your questions:

1. GST Registration: - Mandatory if your annual turnover exceeds ₹40 lakhs (₹20 lakhs for special category states). Since you project crossing ₹25 lakhs, registration is recommended to avoid penalties.

 2. LUT (Letter of Undertaking): - Required for exporting services (like software development) without paying GST. - Validity: Typically 2 years, but can vary depending on the jurisdiction.

3. Invoices and LUT: - You can issue multiple invoices under a single LUT. No need for a separate LUT per invoice. - Mention the LUT number on every invoice.

 4. Input Credit and Refunds: - You can claim input credit for items purchased for freelancing work, like laptops or monitors. - Eligible purchases made within 6 months prior to GST registration can be claimed.

5. GST Filing: - File GSTR-1 (details of outward supplies) and GSTR-3B (summary of outward supplies and input tax credit) monthly. - Timelines: 10th of the next month (e.g., November's returns are due on December 10th). 

6. Staying Organized: - Maintain accurate records of invoices, receipts, and expenses. -

Use accounting software to streamline your GST compliance. 

 Additionally, consider the following: - Obtain a GSTIN (Goods and Services Tax Identification Number) for your freelancing business.

- Ensure your US-based client is aware of your GST registration and LUT requirements. -

 Keep yourself updated on GST regulations and changes.

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
10 October 2026
Accounts Associate Level 1

Abic and Mani Chartered Accountants

Kottayam

B.Com

View Details
Company
19 September 2026
CA/Semi-CA/BCom

Pravin Sarvaiya

Mumbai

CA Inter

View Details
Company
26 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

pushpganga ventures

Pune

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 08 October 2026
ARTICLE TRAINEE

S.B.G. & CO. CHARTERED ACCOUNTANTS

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
07 October 2026
Senior Account Manager

Amplio Invest

Mumbai

M.Com

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 15 September 2026
Freelance Taxation Content Writer Intern

Interactive Media Pvt Ltd.

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
16 September 2026
Internal Audit - Team Lead

Consulting & Beyond

Chennai

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 30 September 2026
CA Article Assistant

CA Suraj Garg & Associates

New Delhi

CA Final

View Details