Genuine reason - For filing income tax returns late

Hi, Recently I filed ITR for 3 years and I got refund for the 3rd year but not for the first two years. Income tax department told me that "After 2 years, refund will be processed only if there is a genuine reason for late filing". To be totally honest, I filed late because I was lazy. I thought since I have to get back refund I can get it later also. So now what genuine reason can I give to the IT department for late filing? Thanks in advance (and I promise to file my returns on time now onwards). Regards, Rahul

Replies (5)

Please tell me how much refund you are about to receive related to the first two years returns

department belives that the reason should be enough to represent the "unable file return", that would be medical grounds of self or any family member.

FIRST PLZ TELL ME THE AMOUNT OF REFUND.

For year 1, the tax refund claimed is 57,000 (if i can claim interest too, then that would be 10,000 -12,000  more).

For year 2, the tax refund is only 4,000.

If I say medical reasons of self/ family member, can they ask for medical certificates?

Thanks

Yes definitely, they will going to ask for the medical certificate and the medical ground should also be very strong......................................

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
Featured 21 September 2026
Consultant - Reporting

Finrep Advisors LLP

Mumbai

CA

View Details
Company
26 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

pushpganga ventures

Pune

CA

View Details
Company
17 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

Dass Gupta & Associates

Gurgaon

CA

View Details
Company
09 September 2026
SENIOR AUDITOR & ACCOUNTS MANAGER

Anupam Parashar & Co.

Ghaziabad

CA Final

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 07 September 2026
CA Articles

Kothari Jain Patil & Chartered Accountants

Pune

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 07 September 2026
Article/ Paid Assistant

Murali and Sumeet Chartered Accountant

Bengaluru

CA Foundation

View Details
Company
22 September 2026
Account Assistant

Chirag P Shah & Co. Chartered Accountant

Pune

B.Com

View Details
Company
Featured 03 October 2026
Accountant

A P Lodha and Associates

Jalna

B.Com

View Details