Foreign Salary Income

I shifted to Australia this year and has a PR for that country. Due to number of days of stay in India, I am a resident here. I have a PR of Australia, so there also I was taxed as Resident. Now my queries are:

1. Will my Australian income be exempt here (I was taxed there). OR

2. I will be allowed credit for my taxes paid over there. At lot of places I have been reading that to claim this credit, certificate is required from other country. How to get that because we get certificate at year end only which June in their case. So how to get a certificate till March end.

Replies (6)
Quick Summary
This discussion explores the tax implications for an individual who is a resident of both India and Australia, earning salary income in both countries. The core question revolves around whether Australian salary income is exempt in India or if credit can be claimed for taxes paid in Australia, referencing the India-Australia Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement (DTAA). The conversation delves into the complexities of Article 15 and Article 4 of the DTAA, particularly when an individual is considered a tax resident of both nations.

Is India having DTAA ( Double Taxation Avoidance Aggement ) with Australia , Please check on Income Tax .gov.in web site .
Source of income

Yes...it is there but I am finding it a bit confusing as it talks about exemption of foreign income as well as taking credit of taxes paid over there.

So wanted to know in my case, will the Salary income in Australia be exempt in India or I will be allowed credit for taxes paid over there..

I am having salary income over there.

As you mentioned  above you are resident  Indian (182 or more in India  ) , what  is source of  Income  in  India ?. 

Originally posted by : prasad Nilugal

As you mentioned  above you are resident  Indian (182 or more in India  ) , what  is source of  Income  in  India ?. 

 

Main source is Salary Income in India as well as Australia

 

Is there any expert with a deep understanding of DTAA with Australia.

A plain reading Article 15 of DTAA says that for a person who is a resident of Australia, his salary over there will be exempt in India. However, now a person is a resident of India (stay more than 182 days) as well as Australia (PR and stay more than 182 days as per their tax calender). In such situation, if we also read Article 4, it says a person can be resident of only one of the country by applying certain tests.

Are we suppose to apply Article 15 along-with article 4 or can simply say that Australian salary is exempt in India?  

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
ARTICLESHIP 01 September 2026
Article Assistant

SGNG & Associates

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
16 September 2026
Internal Audit - Team Lead

Consulting & Beyond

Chennai

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
Article Assistant

MANUJ SHARMA AND COMPANY

Noida

CA Inter

View Details
Company
18 September 2026
Accounts & Finance Specialist

ULTRA CHEMICAL WORKS

Thane

CA Final

View Details
Company
26 September 2026
Chartared Accountant

pushpganga ventures

Pune

CA

View Details
Company
20 September 2026
Semi Qualified CA

Navin & Associates

Mumbai

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 15 September 2026
Freelance Taxation Content Writer Intern

Interactive Media Pvt Ltd.

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
19 September 2026
CA/Semi-CA/BCom

Pravin Sarvaiya

Mumbai

CA Inter

View Details