Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More


Vaibhav Patidar (26 Points)

25 October 2021  
does donation to private school, University elegible for deduction u/s 80g

 6 Replies

Rama chary Rachakonda (Master in Accounts & Lawyer email ID:ramachary64@gmail.com voice no:9989324294)   (2913 Points)
Replied 25 October 2021

Section 80G

One of the best ways to save money on tax while also doing your bit to contribute to the world is by making donations towards charities that will then give you deductions under Section 80G. These have to be trusts or institutions that are eligible.

Rama chary Rachakonda (Master in Accounts & Lawyer email ID:ramachary64@gmail.com voice no:9989324294)   (2913 Points)
Replied 25 October 2021

Documents Required to Claim Deduction under Section 80G

Individuals wishing to claim deduction under Section 80G need to have the following documents to support their claim.

1. Duly Stamped Receipt: It is mandatory to have a receipt issued by the trust/charity which receives a donation. This receipt should include details like the name, address and PAN number of the trust, amount donated and the name of donor.

2. Form 58: Form 58 is essential if a donor intends to claim 100% deduction on a donation, without which their donation will not be eligible for 100% deduction.

3. Registration Number of Trust: Each eligible trust is provided with a registration number by the Income Tax Department and donors should ensure their receipt contains this number. This registration number needs to be valid on the date of a particular donation, failing which a donation might be in eligible for deductions.

Sourav (Student) (23897 Points)
Replied 25 October 2021

Not eligible

Janak Shah (ca) (558 Points)
Replied 25 October 2021

Not eligible unless it's a trust registered under 12A

Rammohan (Retired) (167 Points)
Replied 26 October 2021

Yes, there are a few institutions (colleges/universities) run by some specific NGOs, which accept donations eligible u/s 80G but subject to limits. Some of these also offer 100% deductions u/s 80GGA.

Unfortunately, the I-T Dept website which lists various institutions (including colleges/universities) eligible u/s 80G/GGA, is neither complete nor up to date, nor does the site mention the date up to which their eligibility is valid. If you have any specific college/university in mind, it is better to check with them if the donations to them are eligible for tax deduction, and if yes under which section. If your purpose is to donate just for availing of tax benefit, then you may have to enquire with other sources, besides referring to the I-T Dept website for more information.

Sourav (Student) (23897 Points)
Replied 31 October 2021


Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Subscribe to the latest topics :
Search Forum:

Trending Tags