Directors Share as Investment

Mrunal (Director) (26 Points)

28 April 2011  

I and my wife are 80% share holder (director) in a company and our 1 business partner  20% share holder. We all have set up a firm  in a rented office. All the investment for the set up of the firm will be done from our side and my business partner will not invest any thing. This is the condition how we entered into the business. Me and my wife are happy to use our partners skills and experience in the said business and guide us to grow.

However after 2 years of our business we have to shift to our new rented office and requires renovation in that office. I was in impression that all cost for renovation in new rented office would bear by our company but my business partner has different opinion. He wants me to do fresh investment as he will never be part of investment for the company.

My queries are 

1) Me and my wife are not willing to invest more in the company. Company has enough funds for those expenses. Is there any way we can take company's funds rather then investing new funds. My business partner argues that as his condition was not to invest personally in the business hence renovation cost (to which he has termed as investment) should be bear as fresh money from us and not single fund to be used from company. Is that true?

2) Initially we have invested X amount in the company. What are the procedures for ROI? I mean our invested funds can be recover through dividends only or does it counted as Loan to the company and to be collecteted seperately other then dividends.