Composite supply-gst

Whether Royalty charged in respect of any product stands as individual supply or is a composite supply of the principal goods.

Actually on purchase of Iron Ore Fines, Royalty is collected and the supplier is charges 18% gst on royalty and 5% on Iron Ore. My contention is Royalty is a party of composite supply and the whole supply should attaract 5% GST.

Replies (4)

Is it a usual practice in industry to collect royalty along with sale value on sale of iron ores?

I can't take a strict stand on whether it is a usual practice or not. I am not sure whether the royalty collect is on behalf of the goverment or under an agreement with the party.

I request you to give the suggestion on the basis of the information provided.

Thank you

As far as I understand, royalty is paid to govt. for exploration of natural resources i.e. consideration for service.

Whereas the other payment is for purchase of goods(iron ore) i.e. consideration for goods.

Both are different transaction and hence different rate of tax being charged. 

I also hope that different bill being raised for both the above mentioned transactions.

 

 

Thank you for your reply sir,

They are issuing a consolidated invoice & they are not issuing separate invoices for IronOre and Royalty.

Further I want you to consider some other points also:

1. Payment of royalty only arises when the iron ore is explored, hence royalty and iron ore becomes composite supply.

2. Value of supply includes any tax, cess etc collected.

In the view of the above I feel it is a composite supply and it should be subjected to single rate of tax or Iron Ore. Please provide your inputs sir.

Thank you

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
18 September 2026
Accounts & Finance Specialist

ULTRA CHEMICAL WORKS

Thane

CA Final

View Details
Company
Featured 21 September 2026
Consultant - Reporting

Finrep Advisors LLP

Mumbai

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
Article Assistant

MANUJ SHARMA AND COMPANY

Noida

CA Inter

View Details
Company
04 September 2026
CA inter Or ca finalist

A Jaiswal and company

Lucknow

CA Final

View Details
Company
29 September 2026
Work at home

Lottery.sambad.tv

Bhopal

Others

View Details
Company
19 September 2026
Finance Manager

Mugdha Art Studio

Hyderabad

CA

View Details
Company
19 September 2026
CA/Semi-CA/BCom

Pravin Sarvaiya

Mumbai

CA Inter

View Details
Company
08 September 2026
Audit Executive

Thammana & Associates

Srikakulam

B.Com

View Details