Capital gain: old property sold, new obtained on loan

I am a salaried individual and have been regularly filing ITR.

I sold my flat for 42 Lakhs in March 2019. I was availing IT benefits for home loan for this home which was purchased in May 2012 (for Rs. 33.5 Lakhs). Of 42 Lakhs, 7 lakhs were spent for paying the outstanding principal and I am left with Rs. 35 Lakhs.

I purchased a new flat, earlier in Oct 2018 for Rs. 60 Lakhs + Rs. 3.9  Lakh for stamp duty and registration. Of this amount, Rs. 58 lakhs were obtained through another home loan.

Of the 35 lakhs that I have from the sale of the old property, I am planning to use 15 Lakhs for repaying the principal of the new home loan.

Would remaining 20 lakhs be considered as capital gain on which I have to pay IT?

Thanks

Replies (1)

No.

Claim exemption u/s. 54 while filing ITR of AY 2019-20.

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
19 September 2026
Finance Manager

Mugdha Art Studio

Hyderabad

CA

View Details
Company
04 September 2026
CA inter Or ca finalist

A Jaiswal and company

Lucknow

CA Final

View Details
Company
09 September 2026
SENIOR AUDITOR & ACCOUNTS MANAGER

Anupam Parashar & Co.

Ghaziabad

CA Final

View Details
Company
09 September 2026
Semi Qualified CA / CA Inter - 2 Groups Cleared

Getmyca Consultant Pvt Ltd

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 01 September 2026
Articles

Saini Pati Shah & Co LLP, Chartered Accountants

Mumbai

CA Foundation

View Details
Company
08 September 2026
Semi-Qualified Assitant

Subrahmanyam & Sivudu CA Firm

Hyderabad

CA Inter

View Details
Company
Featured 11 September 2026
Audit Executive

RBSM Corporate Advisors Private Limited

Pune

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 07 September 2026
CA Articles

Kothari Jain Patil & Chartered Accountants

Pune

CA Inter

View Details