Be Clear about your priorities !!

CA. Rajeev Aggarwal (Chartered Accountant) (3419 Points)

29 December 2008  

THROUGH intelligence, application and a healthy dose of scepticism, the seeker would divine the right types of spiritual pactices, meditation, worship and particular religious rituals, which may be needed for his inner purification, leading ultimately to effectiveness. Comprehending that these practices are primarily and merely the means to attain this ultimate objective, he would never get overly occupied with these, thus reducing his dependence on these by and by. Blessed by the right rationalism and pragmatism, he would never ever be affected by blind faith, superstitions or actions motivated by fear of factors within or without.

This process also verily is that of being led well in every way, in the spirit of the ancient Indian prayer, asato ma sat gamaya, tamaso ma jyotir gamaya, mrityo ma amritam gamaya. 
   Whatever be the nature of approach, the basis should be that of setting one’s priorities clear and sticking to these, to the extent possible, with a resolute commitment. An illustration in this regard concerns a student, who was taking lessons from an Indian yoga teacher, during a course held in America. One day, this eager student came to the class, a few minutes late. Apologising profusely, she said, “I am sorry, I was held up as I had to make the funeral arrangements for my mother, who suddenly passed away early today”. Indeed, this is a typical case study of the power of will against odds! 
   An incisive article in this regard, ‘What makes Olympic Champions’ (Reader’s Digest, Sep 1994) also deals with specific cases, where clarity and singlemindedness win for the aspirant the desired results. 
   Any worthwhile endeavour goes with a price and the needed sacrifices. Conformity, fear, anxiety, insecurity, inadequacy, living by others’ priorities, shallow relationships, enforced commitments: these merely militate against one’s chosen objectives and vision. 
   Indeed, the old order should change yielding place to the new, ringing out the old and ringing in the new, guided by the exhortation of Samuel Smiles, “A place for everything and everything in its place”. This change management confers the eternal rewards of natural time management, precision, control, effectiveness, peace, flow and elegance. 
   There lies within us all the power of conscious choice, leading to tangible action and ultimately to accomplishment, through boldly living by right priorities. This, essentially and eventually, is the essence of all spirituality too!