Wrong demand raised by CPC, IT Department

Amit Kumar Das (Retd) (220 Points)

13 January 2022  

I am a resident Indian pensioner and do not have any income other than pension and interests which are liable to tax.

Though I have some income from LTCG from redemption of ELSS, it is not taxable after godfathering, the total amount being less than Rs. 100000/-

I had completely paid income tax by way of self-assessment tax after subtracting the amount of TDS by banks for interests paid for FDs during FY 2020-21 relevant to AY 2021-22.

26AS shows all these correctly, TDS as well as self-assessment tax.

I efiled ITR 2 on 17.12.2021 which was duly acknowledged.

Now, it has been processed and I have received intimation u/s 143(1) where a demand of Rs. 5430/- for A.Y. 2021-22 has been raised.

According to CPC this demand is due to Mismatch between Tax Credits claimed and allowed.

In the relevant table, they have shown

year of deduction of TDS/TCS as 2019 and

Reason for Mismatch as below: -

"Form 26AS does not contain/contains partial amount of TDS with respect to the TAN mentioned in schedule TDS 1/TDS2/TCS".

I do not understand two things in this matter:

1. Why they have mentioned year of deduction of TDS/TCS as 2019 in place of 2020?

2. What is meant in the reason of Mismatch?

26AS clearly mentions that it is for A.Y. 2021-22 and that  Bank has deducted tax at source and deposited to Govt Rs.5431/-

Would you please clarify who is at fault and where?

Is it due to mentioning 2019 as year of deduction instead of 2020 or there is something in the reason of Mismatch which I cannot understand?

Please help to disentangle the apparent mystery.