Tds on property – faq and points to remember

Simran (Student) (1165 Points)

05 June 2013  

As per Finance Bill of 2013, TDS is applicable on sale of immovable property wherein the sale consideration of the property exceeds or is equal to Rs 50,00,000 (Rupees Fifty Lakhs). Sec 194 IA of the Income Tax Act, 1961 states that for all transactions with effect from June 1, 2013, Tax @ 1% should be deducted by the purchaser of the property at the time of making payment of sale consideration. Tax so deducted should be deposited to the Government Account through any of the authorised bank branches.

Points to be remembered by the Purchaser of the Property:

1. Deduct tax @ 1% from the sale consideration.
  2. Collect the Permanent Account Number (PAN) of the Seller and verify the same with the Original PAN card.
  3. PAN of seller as well as Purchaser should be mandatorily furnished in the online Form for furnishing information regarding the sale transaction.
  4. Do not commit any error in quoting the PAN or other details in the online Form as there is no online mechanism for rectification of errors. For the purpose of rectification you are required to contact Income Tax Department.

Points to be remembered by the Seller of the Property:

1. Provide your PAN to the Purchaser for furnishing information regarding TDS to the Income Tax Department.
  2. Verify deposit of taxes deducted by the Purchaser in your Form 26AS Annual Tax Statement.

Frequently Asked questions (FAQ)

What is TDS on property?

The Finance Bill 2013 has proposed that purchaser of an immovable property (other than rural agricultural land) worth Rs 50 lakh or more is required to pay withholding tax at the rate of 1% from the consideration payable to a resident transferor

Who is responsible to deduct the TDS on sale of Property?

According to rules in respect of tax deducted at source, buyer of the property would have to deduct the TDS and deposit the same in Government treasury.

I am Buyer, do I required to procure TAN to report the TDS on sale of Property?

Buyer or Purchaser of the property is not required to procure Tax Deduction Account Number (TAN). The Buyer is required quote his or her PAN and sellers PAN.

What if I don’t have the PAN of the seller is it Mandatory?

PAN of the seller is mandatory. The same may be acquired from the Seller before effecting the transaction.

How can I use this facility to pay TDS on sale of Property?

The Buyer of the property (deductor of tax) has to furnish information regarding the transaction online on the TIN website. After successfully providing details of transaction deductor can:

• Either make the payment online (through e-tax payment option) immediately;
  • Or make the payment subsequently through e-tax payment option (net-banking account) or by visiting any of the authorized Bank branches. However, such bank branches will make e-payment without digitization of any challan. The bank will get the challan details from the online form filled on www.tin-nsdl.com

If I encounter any error on NSDL site while entering the online form details what should I do?

If any problem is encountered at the NSDL website while entering details in the online form then contact the TIN Call Center at 020 – 27218080 or email at tininfo @ nsdl.co.in (Please indicate the subject of the mail as Online Payment of Direct Tax).