Retension Bonus - Refunded - will TAX be returned by Govt.?

Hi All,

 

My company wants to pay me a rentenion bonus of 1.4 Lakhs (it's advance pay, not at the end), the conditions is I should stay back for next one year from the date they pay it (that's until Dec 2011).I understand it's a taxable amount (30% or so) and I'll receive approximately 1 Lakh when I accept the offer.


The question here is - Suppose I want to leave the company before next December (lock period). As per the condition in the letter I need to re-pay the full amount (that's 1.4L) to the company. What will happen to the tax paid? I understand the comany will not take care about that part - will I be able to file this under IT returns in next financial year and reveive the amount from Income tax dept.? If yes, will I get the full amount and by when that credit to me? Kindly advice.

 

Best Regards,

-Vishal

Replies (2)

Hi Vishal

As you have a vested right in the retention bonus, you have to pay tax in the year of receipt of the bonus itself. 

You can not avoid the tax liability of the bonus till the contingency occurs.

Thanks

if u leave the job and paid the 1.4L , its your expenditure only, you cant claim refund of tax.

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
CA Article Trainee

SR BAGAI & Co.

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
30 September 2026
Senior Accounts Executive

Codeboard Technology

Chennai

MBA

View Details
Company
09 September 2026
Semi Qualified CA / CA Inter - 2 Groups Cleared

Getmyca Consultant Pvt Ltd

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
22 September 2026
Account Assistant

Chirag P Shah & Co. Chartered Accountant

Pune

B.Com

View Details
Company
08 September 2026
Semi-Qualified Assitant

Subrahmanyam & Sivudu CA Firm

Hyderabad

CA Inter

View Details
Company
16 September 2026
Internal Audit - Team Lead

Consulting & Beyond

Chennai

CA

View Details
Company
17 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

Dass Gupta & Associates

Gurgaon

CA

View Details
Company
09 September 2026
SENIOR AUDITOR & ACCOUNTS MANAGER

Anupam Parashar & Co.

Ghaziabad

CA Final

View Details