Income tax return for nri

Sanjay (Service) (81 Points)

24 March 2018  

I am an NRI and do not have any income in India. I have not filed Income Tax Return since I became NRI alomost a decade back. 

However, I do deduct TDS from every builder invoice for an under Construction Apartment that I have booked few years back and provide Form 16B to builder.

Kindly advise;

1.  Am I supposed to file Income Tax Return since I do not have any source of Income in India.

2.  How should I respond to below email received from Income Tax Compliance;

''Dear Taxpayer,

The Income tax Department has received information on financial transactions/activities relating to XXXXXXXXXX for Financial Year 2016-17. As per records, you do not appear to have filed Income Tax Return for Assessment Year 2017-18 (relating to FY 2016-17).

Please submit your online response as under:

Step 1: Login to Compliance portal Login to the e-filing portal and click on the ‘Compliance Portal’ link available in ‘My Account’ to navigate to Compliance portal
Step 2: View Information Details Information Details can be viewed under e-verification menu on the Compliance Portal.
Step 3: Upload Return or submit details Upload the return on e-filing portal after paying due taxes. If return is already filed, submit details under ‘Filing of Income tax return” on Compliance Portal. In case you are not liable to file return, you may submit online response. You may keep the print out of submitted response for record.

Last date to file your returns for AY 2017-18 is 31st March 2018.

It is advised that you may ascertain your tax liability for AY 2017-18 and file your Income Tax Returns (ITR) or submit online response at the earliest to avoid last minute rush''.