ICICI

Disallowance u/s 40a(3)

THATAVARTHI SAI BALAJI VENKATE (Articleship)     14 June 2016

THATAVARTHI SAI BALAJI VENKATE
Articleship 
 21 points

| My Other Post

A company has given a sum exceeding twenty thousand Rupees to a person on a day in cash as advance to meet the Company Expenses Ex: X ltd had given an advance of five Lakhs to Mr.Y to buy some goods for the Company. Mr. Y bought goods for the Company and handovered the same. Is this expense disallowable u/s 40a(3)?

C A Bharat Halan (Practicsing CA)     14 June 2016

C A Bharat Halan
Practicsing CA 
 37 points

View Profile | My Other Post

Yes it is Disallowed under Sec 40(a)(3) but there is a loophole that breakup the cash advance in less than 20 k per day Voucher.

avater

Sai Ganesh (Article Assisstant )     14 June 2016

Sai Ganesh
Article Assisstant  
 254 points

Dear sir, 

The provision under section 40A(3) is laid down below : 

"Where the assessee incurs any expenditure in respect of which a payment or aggregate of payments made to a person in a day, otherwise than by an account payee cheque drawn on a bank or account payee bank draft, exceeds twenty thousand rupees, no deduction shall be allowed in respect of such expenditure "

As if see in the above provision it talks about the nature of payment towards which we are cosindering as expenditure. So though it is a advance or not. Numenclature is not important. 

Thanks 

avater

Articleship 
 21 points

Here the company has given the Advance to Mr.Y an employee as advance for expenditure and accounted as 

Advance for Expenses Mr Y a/c Dr.

To Cash A/c

Please Clarify?

avater

Sai Ganesh
Article Assisstant  
 254 points

is we are giving to employee amount ofRs.5,00,000 as advance for making different purchases or for making payment to that particular vendor.  And how the employee is making payments for the purchase of goods. 

avater

Articleship 
 21 points

We are giving advance for each purchase seperately on same day to Mr.Y suppose to be 15,000 for one purchase, one lakh for other purchase, and so on.

avater

Sai Ganesh
Article Assisstant  
 254 points

if the same amount the employee is paying in cash it to the creditor for purchase of goods then it will be disallowed.

avater

Ubaid (Chartered Accountant)     14 June 2016

Ubaid
Chartered Accountant 
 35 likes  499 points

it is allowed...u can pay ur employee cash more than Rs 20,000...but the final use or payment made by the employee should not exceed 20000..or it is disallowed

avater

Ajit Hegde (CA - Final)     15 June 2016

Ajit Hegde
CA - Final 
 91 likes  1357 points

It depends on how the employee settles the advance. If the employee gives bill for more than 20000, it is disallowed. That is to say payment to a single bill number / same person / same day for more than 20,000 is disallowed.

avater

CA Jitender Yadav (Sr. Finance Executive)     16 June 2016

CA Jitender Yadav
Sr. Finance Executive 
 17 likes  246 points

it does not matter what amount of advance have been given but how it is settled matters if employee settled advance by giving single bill of rs.20000 or more then it is disallowed otherwise it is allowed

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Popular Discussion

view more »