!..are you planning for something big..!

Sanket (!..Live to Give..!) (16427 Points)

05 December 2013  

Planning for Something BIG...?

Do a Google search and you’ll find 89,100,000 results.  You’ll find S.M.A.R.T. goals, workbooks, workshops, tips, techniques, and tricks.  All of these CAN work if you DO the work.  Even with 89 million results, I’m about to share something different because it comes directly from my personal experience.

Regardless of the goal setting methods you use, the following thoughts can help you refine and strengthen your process.  Combined, you improve the chances of achieving your goals.

1. RESEARCH

Not that you don’t already know what you want to achieve, but do some research about others who have done the same thing.  You will see a trend in how long, on average, it takes to achieve this goal or something similar.  If the research indicates that most achieve this in 6 months, it doesn’t make much sense to set your goal for 6 weeks.

2. CALENDAR

This is my favorite part.  I go to the calendar.  I prefer using the Google monthly calendar and print out each month on a separate page.  I’m able to make notes on it and number the weeks.  I like to use different colored markers.  You can write in holidays or special events that might delay the goals progress.

3. TESTS

As you progress towards your goal, it’s nice to have some checkpoints along the way just to figure out where you are.  Look at it like a ‘mid-term’ exam.  But you need something as close to the ‘real world’ or ‘real-time’ as possible.  You find out where you stand, how far you have come and what it’s gonna take to finish.

4. SUPPORT

Support of a “team” could mean the difference between success or failure.  You’ve got to have a support system.  It makes the process so much more enjoyable.  You don’t feel like you are climbing this mountain of achievement by yourself.

5. HUSTLE

You may not be the smartest.  You may not be the richest.  You may not be the most talented.  But you can bet yourself , that nobody can work harder than you.

6. SACRIFICE

There is a price to pay.  Expect it. Prepare for it.  There will be sacrifice.  Hopefully it won’t be something as important as a marriage or other vital relationships. But many times, you’ve heard the stories, relationships don’t get the necessary attention because that quality time has been diverted toward the pursuit of a goal.

The bigger the goal and the bigger the stretch, the more laser-like focus and tunnel vision required.  

Consider all the above… and answer this...........

Will you enjoy the journey and the attainment?

What lessons have you learned from success and failure during goal pursuit?

Lastly, Was it worth it?