Cancellation of pan card

This query is : Resolved 

(Querist) 31 March 2013

i want to cancel my pan card no. so plz tell me the procedure for this.

Tapas Ruparelia (Expert) 31 March 2013

IF YOU HAVE A SINGLE PAN, there is no way ou can cancel it!!!

however, an assessee may have been allotted multiple PAN Card. The multiple PAN card may have been allotted to the Assessee for many reasons i.e. He may have applied multiple times for allotment of PAN and every time he has been allotted a PAN card or may have inadvertently allowed multiple PAN card by Income tax Department , NSDL or UTI.

Assessee who have more than one PAN should immediately Apply for surrender of additional PAN number(s) allotted to them as having more than one PAN may make them liable to a penalty of Rs. 10,000/-

Assessee can apply for surrender of PAN card by two methods.

1. Manually -
a. Write a letter to this effect to the assessing officer under whose jurisdiction you have been filing your returns. The letter must contain details such as your name, contact details, details of the PAN card to be retained, details of the duplicate PAN card(s) which you need to surrender, etc. Keep the acknowledgement copy of the letter that you have filed with the I-T department, stating that you are surrendering your additional PAN. That is sufficient as proof of surrender and no additional confirmation from the I-T authorities is required. On receipt of the acknowledgement, there is no need for you to wait for intimation from the income tax department considering that the PAN submitted has now been cancelled by them. The acknowledgment copy of the letter submitted will more than solve the purpose.
b. Manually Fill the Form No. 49A for change/Correction in correction in PAN and submit the same at your nearest UTI pan centers or NSDL TIN Facilitation centers.

2. Online -
a. Visit the Following Link and fill the detail in the online Form given at the link and following the instructions

b. In PAN correction form, You have to mention the PAN which you are using currently on top of the application form. All other PAN/s inadvertently allotted to you should be mentioned at item no. 11 and the corresponding PAN card(s) should be submitted for cancellation along with the form..

RAMESH KUMAR VERMA (Expert) 01 April 2013


nancy jain (Querist) 01 April 2013

if the assessee has only one pan card in the company name and now the company want to cancel it so what should we do for this.

RAMESH KUMAR VERMA (Expert) 01 April 2013


nancy jain (Querist) 01 April 2013

In case of dissolution of company, the same form should i filled??

RAMESH KUMAR VERMA (Expert) 01 April 2013

you can Surrender of PAN as well as ROC ORDER to concerned A.O.


Tapas Ruparelia (Expert) 01 April 2013

there is no dissolution deed in case of a company.. u should file roc order alongwith a cancellation application. there is no form. company management has to male a written application to the concerned assessing officer..

Best regards...

You need to be the querist or approved CAclub expert to take part in this query .

Click here to login now

Similar Resolved Queries :

close x