treatment of trial run production

dear all

my query for you is

how should trial run production be treated if the same is
1 sold
2 unsold (i.e in stock)

Kindly suggest the tax implications of the same too.

Thank You.....Susheel

DEEPIKA GOEL (Expert)

Trial run production cost should be capitalised with the cost of plant and machinery from which the production was generated.

If those trial run production units are sold, the amount realised from the sale of above items should be deducted from the cost of plant and machinery and if unsold, nothing to be done after capitalising.

shakuntala chhangani (Expert)

Agreed with deepika. It is covered under AS 10 - Accounting for fixed assets.
Regards, CA Shakuntala Chhangani

susheel (Querist)

Dear Experts firstly thanks for your prompt response.
In continuation of my query... What is the treatment if the trial production is sold in the subsequent year also in the current year will the same be considered for calculation of increase\decrease in stock to be shown in p&l account

susheel (Querist)

shakuntala chhangani (Expert)

whenever the trial run production will be sold out, the sales proceeds will get credited to Asset A/c. The same has already been mentioned by Deepika.

susheel (Querist)

Dear Madam

The latter part of the query is not answered i.e regarding consideration of the same in valuation of closing stock of the current year.

shakuntala chhangani (Expert)

cost of trial run production is debited to asset A/c n sales proceeds will also get credited to Asset A/c so there is no question of valuation of stock or its effect on P/L A/c In case u hv any further doubt, revert back to me.
Regards, CA Shakuntala Chhangani

susheel (Querist)

Thank you Madam my problem is well explained