Home > Experts > Accounts > Treatment of Preliminary Expenses

Treatment of Preliminary Expenses (Accounts)

This query is : Open

1.Preliminary expenses of Rs.75,000 are incurred for incorporation of company in FY 2008-09 what entry need to be passed ?

2.Whether the whole of expenses to be charged to P/L or can only 1/5 is to be charged to P/L & remaining is to be shown in B/S?

CMA. CS. Sanjay Gupta

Preliminary Exp A/c Dr
(under Misc Exp. Assets)

To Bank....

When Write of 1/5th-----

Prelim Exp Written off A/c DR.

To Preliminary Exp A/c

1/5 is to be charged to P/L & remaining is to be shown in B/S

CA KRISHNA KUMAR DARUKA

As regards part 1 of your question Mr Sanjay Gupta is correct.

But as regards part 2 of your question my opinion is that it should be written off in one year only because as per Accounting Standard 26 Preliminary expenses do not meet the definition of assets and must be expensed with in the year of incurring.

Tareq Imam

prel expenses to be written off in 5 years
1/5 in each year

CA KRISHNA KUMAR DARUKA

I will again request Mr Tareq Imam to read AS 26 and let me know whether writing off Preliminery Expenses in 5 years is correct treatment as per this accounting standard. This was definitely correct before this AS but the Institute has also clarified that preliminery expenses should be written off in one go as per this accounting standard which is mandatory for all companies in India.

CA Gaurav Agarwal

25 January 2013

As per AS 26 Preliminiary exp. if fully written off in the Ist year of Company incorporation...

Criteria of 1/5th is in Income Tax Act not in A.standard.

and for the same deferred tax is req. to calculate..

Thank You

Best Regards

CA Gaurav Agarwal
9015449229

Tareq Imam

31 January 2013

But As per income tax act we can claim 1/5 th deduction each year

CA KRISHNA KUMAR DARUKA

01 February 2013

You are correct that as per it 1/5 is allowed every year. But as per accounting standard you have to write off full amount in first year. Moreover in accounts you have to recognise deferred tax on this account.

CA. Astaf Mansuri

what about if the debit balance of profit & loss in balance sheet ? should the concern wait to set off same against the profit in future ?